inheritance tax – please help


This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pr2hy 4 years, 4 months ago.

  • Author
  • #185107




    My parents have been Resident in Spain for over 3 years. They are also assumed to be non-UK domiciled as they now have a firm foothold in Spain with no ties to the UK.. If they were to INHERIT UK real estate (worth about £2 million), would they be liable to any IHT in Spain?




  • #185236

    Mark Stücklin

    If they are tax resident in Spain, which it sounds like they are, then I imagine they will have to pay IHT in Spain, deducting tax paid in the UK under the terms of the double-taxation treaty.

    In the UK the estate of the deceased pays the IHT, in Spain it’s the beneficiary of the estate. UK IHT of 40% above personal allowances (currently £325,000 per person) is higher than Spain, if I’m not mistaken.

    You’ll have to check with a tax expert but my guess is the estate will pay all the IHT in the UK, and thanks to the double-tax treaty there won’t be any more to pay in Spain (just lots of paperwork and legal costs). Shame the estate is not in Spain because in that case your parents would pay less IHT.

    I’m not expert in IHT. You’ll have to check all this with a qualified solicitor with expertise in both jurisdictions.

  • #185314


    thanks very much Mark

The forum ‘Property Questions & Answers’ is closed to new topics and replies.