Importing your car…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 7 months ago.

  • Author
  • #51565


    Anyone done this recently?

    We are thoroughly confused as everything we read is completly different! We brought a LHD car in the UK (on Ebay!) and have it over here, been driving it since Sept, but I think we have 6 months from Jan to import it…

    Any advice welcome,


  • #60954



    If you are a Spanish resident your car has to be registered in Spain

    The procedures, the same for every newly bought Spanish Car, are a bit complicated so I advice you to go to a ‘gestoría’

    First your car has to be inspected by an official ‘ITV’, then you should go to the local Tax administration (should ask in the town hall) to be registered to pay the yearly tax called ‘Viñeta’ or traffic tax, after that to ‘Hacienda’ to pay the ‘Impuesto de matriculación’ and finally to the nearest Traffic Office (DGT) in order to get your Spanish plates…

    Every step needed is in the DGT website, paperwork needed is slightly different on used/new cars:

    New Cars:
    Used Cars:

    As I told you is a bit complicated, even for Spaniards, and is something usually done by ‘gestorías’


  • #60956


    Hi Cesar,

    I thought I´d be advised to use a is very confusing!

    Thanks, Heather

  • #61246


    whats this likely to cost then cesar, any ideas?


  • #61293


    I’ll try to estimate costs, but bear in mind that it will depend on the region you are, the kind of car you have and also that the guides I’ll give are for private use and ownership of a sedan (nor bikes, vans, buses coaches or trucks)

    First, the ITV (technical inspection of vehicles) is a public service but privately operated, with prices fixed by the regional authorities, I think Asturias is one of the cheapest areas, being Valencia the expensive one. Prices vary also depending if your car works with diesel or ordinary petrol. You may estimate from 35 to 70 Euro if your car passes the inspection on a single check (some areas will charge every inspection needed if the car fails to pass first or consecutive checks)

    The traffic office (the DGT) will charge you 68 Euro for the Spanish documents, 2 extra Euro to legalize the ITV certificate and 4 Euro to legalize your new plates (you have to buy them and I haven’t got no idea of they cost, not much I guess)

    The first registration tax (Impuesto de matriculación) also depends on the kind of car, the kind of fuel they use and the total cubic capacity of the engine(roughly 7% of the purchase price for small cars and 12% for big cars)

    Note: This tax has a proposal of change now in process in two different ways: First the government is studying to allow Autonomous Communities to rise the range to the 15% to help pay public health service and secondly they are studying an extra rise for diesel and 4×4 as they are more pollutant cars

    The local traffic taxes are established by local authorities, they usually depend of the size and population of each area and the ‘horse power’ of the car. As an example I can tell you that you will pay 170 Euro per year for a 2.200 cc 150 CV diesel Car in Gijón, a 300.000 people city.

    This are the same process for every new car in Spain, usually the car dealership does every thing for you using they own ‘gestorias’ but if you are importing the car buy yourself you will have to do it, that’s why I advised Heather to contact one as it is really complicated.


  • #61334


    hmmm i see, i rang someone in the paper aboutgetting plates done and he quoted me 750 euros but he sounded quite “dodgy” whereas other have told me as much as 2000 so getting a good answer is difficult, maybe a gestoria would be a better idea!!! 😳

  • #67597


    Just update with what I found in “real life”, as my 5 yr old would say!

    At the ITV centre, I was told to change the address of ownership rather than import the car, this cost 40 odd euros for the ITV test and after waiting 25 days I had spanish papers for my car. No extra charges for these..yet!

    It would have been 110 euros for the ITV test to “import” rather than “change address” and I was told it was exactly the same thing!!

    Hope this helps someone, we are still struggling on with this, hopefully just have to pay the first reg tax now…before you ask, I had an idiot drive into me and a very very slow insurance company….

  • #67609


    Hi Heather, not sure what you mean about changing the name..could you expand on this? Katy

  • #67610


    Was this a LHD car on UK plates?

  • #67625



    Hillybilly- Yes, my car is LHD presently, but hopefully for not much longer, with UK plates.

    Katy: When I went for the ITV test, I was told there were 2 options, importing the car and change the ownership into my name (its in my husbands) or I could simply keep it in his name and as we are in the EU, change the address of ownership. As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as for importing it, but keeps it in my husbands name. This is what I did and as I said it was much cheaper – about 40-50 euros for the ITV test, resulting in Spanish papers for my car 25 days later + the ITV test papers.

    I guess it is like when send the DVLA a change of address and they would update your details and send you new docs.

    Todays bit of advice would be to make sure everything you have has the same name on it. We have a joint account and when I paid the ingreso (1st reg tax) today I didn’t realise the thing from the bank had my name on it not my hubbies, this meant that when I went to collect my MOD576 form from the agencia tributuria, their computer didn’t like the fact that the tax was paid by one person and the car owned by another, so I had to go back to the bank and change the payment into his name and have to go back into Oviedo tomorrow to try again! Don’t you just LOVE red tape!!

    When this gets sorted I’ll post a definitive what to do, at least in Asturias!
    I guess that will be after the puente now!


The forum ‘Property Questions & Answers’ is closed to new topics and replies.