The town council of Marbella has slashed the fine that developers will have to pay for legalising homes they built in contravention of planning permission, bringing the end of Marbella’s town planning chaos a step closer.So long as the developers responsible for building some 16,500 illegal properties in Marbella compensate the town hall for legalising the properties, fines will be slashed by 75%. In most cases compensation involves donating land to the town council. The decision to reduce fines was taken by the town council in early July, and complies with Andalucia’s regional planning laws (LOUA), argue the municipal government. Developers shouldn’t have to pay twice with compensation and fines, and anyway most can’t afford to do so, a council spokesman told the Spanish press. By that line of argument, smaller fines are better than nothing. For example, the developer of the La Cañada commercial centre, Tomás Olivo, will have his fine reduced to 5.7 million Euros from of 23 million, plus ceeding 2 plots of land to the town hall. Developers will welcome the news, but not necessarily all the conditions. They have to pay 25% of the fine up front, and provide a bank guarantee for the remaining 75% until compensation has been taken care of. Developers that fail to meet all the conditions may be forced to demolish illegally-built property, if compensation and fines go unpaid.
Spanish Property Insight
Spanish Property Market Analysts
Spanish Property Insight
Insight into the Spanish property market, guides to help you make informed decisions, and a directory of real estate professionals and home service providers from a source you can trust.
This is a website for buyers, owners, and sellers of property in Spain, offering reliable information and resources to help you get things done with confidence. It is run by Mark Stücklin, author of the Spanish Property Doctor Column in The Sunday Times (2005-2008), and the book ‘Need to Know: Buying Property in Spain’ published by Collins.
When you buy or sell property in Spain the sums of money are large, perhaps one of the biggest financial decisions of your life. The high transaction costs you will face like taxes and commissions only make the decision more important to get right. And when you own property in Spain you face a host of extra challenges to manage, and costs to control. Unfortunately, the Spanish property market is opaque and full of pitfalls, and notoriously unprofessional. Buying and selling property in Spain is not a decision to be taken lightly, and you may find it much easier to buy than sell if you don’t take care. In this market it is crucial to do your own research, and don’t rely exclusively on people who are trying to sell you something – let’s just say they might not have your best interests at heart. Spanish Property Insight is the only independent source of information and analysis of the Spanish property market. Don’t even think about buying or selling property in Spain without subscribing to Spanish Property Insight.