Re: Re: Press articles about the Spanish property situation

Chris M
Participant

@brianc_li wrote:

Lower prices and the increasing purchase power of the pound make it an attractive time to buy in Spain, if it’s a place to live in, surely?

I couldn’t disagree with you more.
The bottom line here is that the market in Spain is falling heavily and looks set to do so for the foreseeable future. Certainly at least two years, probably longer. I have heard people, here and elsewhere, saying ‘Now is the time to buy’ for years now. It was bad advice then, it still is.

Now is of course the time to buy for many, and in spite of the Greek crisis, which in previous forms / periods has had a negative impact on those in the real estate market, we ourselves can report that sales are now approaching double the same period last year.

On the forum, we have a danger of looking at the market from single perspective. I think this is a problem, it is why I bother to post from time to time, to try and bring a different angle sometimes.

I have a view as to why – double – the number of clients are buying over last year, I think it has to do with a number of factors, but my view could be wholly wrong so I am not going to bang on about it.

However, I think the simple fact that we have sold properties in every week of every year of this financial crisis should tell you that of course that a lot of people have completely different motivations and views than those daily projected here – and for those who have bought, everyone one of them – they see that this was their perfect time – Now was of course the time to buy. And am sorry, but…

It is a fantastic time to buy in so many ways, and for so many people, that sometimes I think you guys on here have aboslutely no idea.

I don’t think you have any idea either of the massive pent up demand there is for a home in Spain, crisis or no crisis, or of the benefits that people look forward to and take from owning their own home on the Costa del Sol.

The glass chaps, is not always half empty.