Reply To: Spanish Income Tax

Anonymous
Participant

“All these recent changes………are steps in the right direction and they will make Spain even more competitive as a destination for investment…”

“Home owners from abroad will see in Spain not only a modern European country…….”

Bernard Fay Viota, UHY Fay & Co

Not while Spain only does things the EU forces them to do, and in some cases eg. Land Grab, still gives two-fingers to their directives.
AND NOT WHILE THEIR JUDICIAL SYSTEM OFTEN IGNORES THEIR OWN LAWS AND DISHES OUT UNJUST RULINGS when purchasers have been sold illegal property.
Even Spain’s banks re. their Bank Guarantees act like third world crooks, hiring lawyers to enable them to ride roughshod over their obligations.

Peterhun on another thread today:
“Thats the whole issue that the EU has with Spain, its legal system allows all the guilty parties to get off with any penalty, the person who suffers is the home buyer”.
Exactly. Even if the building is allowed to stand, it’s the homeowner who has to pay the fine for its illegality, or is left in illegal-limbo for years while the Spanish deliberate what to do.

Until a purchaser can enjoy legal protection from corruption by all those involved in the buying process (EA’s, lawyers, banks, Town Halls, judges, yes even some notaries), investing in Spain is a gamble.
Ask Mr. & Mrs. Prior reduced to living in their garage in Vera and those who have had their properties ‘confiscated’ at the whim of a local council to facilitate new roads etc – plus countless thousands of others including many members on this forum.

“A modern European country?”
In my opinion Spain is still a third world country and there’s a long way to go I’m afraid, Mr. Viota. It will take more than tinkering with the tax system to restore confidence.

Would love to know your thoughts, perhpas I’ll send you an e-mail to invite you to comment?!