Reply To: West Costa del Sol: Best areas to buy property

katy
Blocked

Have to say firstly I am not an aficionada of apartments and Townhouses in Spain (far too noisy) but I will recount my experiences over the last 4 moves and why we sold.

We had a Townhouse in the area Inez posted about (la Campana, Nueva Andalucia). Smart and spacious, front line golf, fields across the road (then!). For holidays it was perfect. When we lived here permanently it was either too quiet or too noisy. Perfect situation, minutes to Beach, San Pedro or Puerto Banus. The madrid owners next door rented to some South Americans and they were truly neighbours from hell. This and the level of building work and increasing traffic snarl-ups in that area led us…

Inland, to a beautiful area near Casares. Spent a year renovating the place although I decided after about a month the isolation wasn’t for me. No dinner parties, friends only wanted to visit during daylight because of the distance/road etc. Far too young to bury ourselves in the country. Too far from the airport too.

Third time lucky..not really 🙄 Villa in Sotogrande, great at first except the distance from the Airport (both my Children do not live in the UK so Gibraltar was no use). That and the increasing amount of building and the road getting busier led us East of Marbella.

To me this place is as good as it gets. We have decided this is our last move in Spain. If we move we are out of here! Open countryside, views, no apartment builds in sight, walk to beach and some restaurants. No paseo with traffic, just sand dunes. About 8 mins from Marbella, 12 from Fuengirola (good el cheapo meals in Fish Alley and good shopping) 35 mins from the Airport. No holiday-makers in the street all residential and quiet 🙂

So, you can say I recommend Elviria and Las Chapas. Nice little spanish pueblo centre. Classes at the Town Hall, Pensioners club (not for me yet!) with Yoga and lectures etc. even learn Flamenco if you wish. One grouse, food and drink is overpriced, much cheaper in marbella.

Some good places. Ones I know or have seen through friends living there.

Parque Marbella (centre, but next to a fantastic mature park and beach).

Elviria Hills (good views with restaurant and Golf).

Hacienda Playa.

La Cala de Mijas (not the horrendous new builds on the “wrong side of the road”)

Some Urbanisations on the road to Mijas pueblo.

Some parts of La Carihuela (Torremolinos). Whilst many coastal towns have been spoilt the area is much improved.

My view is mainly based on all year living, social life, shops, traffic and convenience to Airport. Adding a good mix of different cultures and a rural feel with good views.

Sorry for rambling 😳