Reply To: Naming and shaming

Anonymous
Participant

I feel that at first sight this could be a useful idea but it is fraught with danger.

Spain is so different in the way business is done, the thought processes are different.Sometimes problems occur due to this, the Spaniard is used to a Mañana mañana , no problem, no problem ,attitude. This I consider leads to a lot of problems for foreigners.

Also there is a large amount of misinformation spread by barrack room or in most cases bar room lawyers, who can just about manage to order a beer in Spanish but are at the same time expert,they think, on all aspects of Spanish law , property transactions etc.

Additionally as I have commented many times on this forum the local media is in business to make money, so advertising is their prime interest and their coverage of news and the adverts they carry can help the spread of misinformation.

To return to local experts, they could put innocent names on this forum
through nastiness,wanting to do someone out of a deal of some kind . Perhaps jealousy that someone was making a good living, when they were struggling, even though the other person was working in an honest way. .

Let me quote a case where misinformation caused a family to return to the UK because their name was blackened through misinformation. The couple concerned were involved in a local charity , this required Mrs X to handle various amounts of money. Coincidentally the couple decided to take a cruise and were on it when an audit was carried out. There was money missing, of course many people added 2 +2 and made 5., their view was ;”money missing ,Mr and Mrs X away on a cruise and we know they do n´t come cheap = Mr and Mrs X have stolen the money”.

On their return Mr and Mrs X were berated by other members of the charity ,given no chance to prove their innocence and forced to resign from the charity. This of course all added to the rumours “friends” boycotted them and their lives became impossible in the area where they had lived happily for many years. Sometime later the missing money was found, Mr and Mrs X although completely innocent were not invited to return to the charity ,no public announcement was made stating their innocence, the rumours still continued and Mr and Mrs X have returned to the UK. I could without exageration quote hundreds of similar cases.

We all know there are a lot of sharks in the property world in Spain, who should be named and shamed,the problem I fear is that a lot of innocent people could also be caught in the net as well.

I consider this forum to be an excellent way for people who have bought, are thinking of buying to relate their thoughts and experiences . It would be a great shame if censorship of contributions had to be made which could happen if there was a chance of legal action being taken against Mark for what had been written on this forum.