Reply To: Register for European Citizens

Glad you did post !

I was unaware of the new certificate. I’ve been back to Alicante three times to try and collect my residencia, but the huge league of nations queue outside, coupled with the incredibly slow service, makes it impossible to be seen before 2pm (when the place shuts). Looking at a 3am start next time!

Saw the following on the FCO travel advice website and I’m now wondering what purpose this second certificate serves, that the compulsory tax form NIE doesn’t?

Since 28 March 2007 all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than three months are required to register in person at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. However, you will no longer be issued with a residence card and, instead, you will be issued a certificate stating your name, address, nationality, identity number and date of registration. The certificate serves as confirmation that the registration obligation has been fulfilled, but it is not recognised by the local authorities as a valid form of identification and you are not obliged to keep the certificate with you.