Reply To: Five Arrests in the Murcia Government



In Asturias::

Minor license (obras menor rapido) for putting in a new kitchen took less than an hour to get, as long as it took to go from one building to the other to pay and back again.

For putting on a new roof, its a minor license (obras menor) but one that takes 28 days, you need a picture of the roof and a map annotated with the location as well as the license application here BUT this all assumes you don’t use scaffolding. If using scaffolding, its a MAJOR works license, requiring a project and architects drawings.

When we did our roof I made a minor license and was the told by the PLANNING DEPT to write something stating we weren’t using scaffolding (even though we knew we were!!) to avoid the need for a major license…

Its ‘menor’ and ‘mejor’ in Spanish…

Agree with everyone else, it will depend on the day, time of month, if you smile sweetly enough etc etc

It took my husband over 2 months to get us written permission from the ayuntamiento to connect to the mains drainage..evidently I smile sweeter!! 😀

If you are interested, why haven’t you searched through my old posts as I suggested in my PM to you? There is a thread called ‘Do I really need an architect’ and listed there are the things that need which licence.

I’ve copied some of the relevant info below,

According to the LOE, which is the law that regulates all building in Spain, you require a Project for:

1. All new building, other than simple single storey non-residential or public use building.

2. The refurbishment, extension or repair of any existing building that affects its size, volume, composition, structure or involves a change of use.

3. Any works to listed buildings.

The Project must be signed by an Architect if the use of the building is:

A) Public, Residential, Religious, Educational, Cultural or a Hospital.

The Project must be signed by an Architect or an Engineer if the use is:

B) Transport, Energy Production, Hydraulic, Telecommunications, Industrial, Agricultural etc

Projects for any other intended use (C) may be signed by an Architect, an Engineer or an Aparejador ( a technical architect whose functions combine those of a Quantity Surveyor and Clerk of Works).

Minor Works are those that do do not affect the structure, appearance or use of the building: all other works are regarded as Major. Depending on the Local Council, Minor Works Licences are usually granted swiftly (by Spanish standards), and do not require an extensive Project. Major Works Licences require a full project, with Bills of Quantities and detailled drawings, and the use of an Archiect and Aparejador for the site supervision.