Reply To: Getting NIE before going to Notary

Anonymous
Participant

I think that the purpose of this thread is to inform people about the requirements of the entire procedures involved with NIE and it is certainly helpful.
One thing I have noticed is that Mark’s PDF file to show how to fill in the NIE application : https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/NIE_ex14_application.pdf is different to the same form on the Spanish goverment site quoted above.
It is no wonder that there can be confusion in these matters.

And Vince, your advice: Sorry to be so abrupt but NIE number is the first thing you do when you come to Spain – followed by getting a bank account – then you look for a house. If you cannot spend the time – go buy somewhere else

I mean the first thing I did was to open a Non Resident bank account so I could use that to pay for my rent and other expenses by allowing the use of a Euro hole in the wall account and cash withdrawal. I then found a suitable apartment and arranged the purchase through the Estate Agent. this was 4 years ago. The Escritura was signed with our passports and no NIE. Money to pay for it was transferred into my Spanish bank and a ‘bankers cheque’ was issued for the purchase. To this day, my bank has never queried whether I have an NIE number because I sign a Non Res form and I am a Non Res. The property was bought in joint names of myself and wife. I later obtained an NIE number for myself and paid the annual 214 Non Resident Tax. This was paid by me and my local hacienda helped me to complete the form. I subsequently paid following years taxes. I then sold the apartment and obtained the help of a local Spaniard who took care of all the procedures after signing a letter of authority in front of the Notary. The 5% Gains Tax was deducted and subsequently an additional amount of Tax was calculated as being due over and above the 5%. This was agreed and approx one year later the hacienda got round to sending the ‘invoice’ which was paid immediately. At no stage did the hacienda ever question the joint ownership on the escritura and therefore I assumed that they only wanted to collect taxes that ‘belonged’ to the property.
So you may understand my degree of haziness over the way taxes are collected and the Notaries role in all this.
But I will learn more next week when I meet the Notary and he can tell me what the current situation is. The situation in my particular location that is.