Reply To: A legal Question



Dear JoJo,

If you know from which financial institution the vendor had his mortgage why don’t you ask your lawyer to contact them and ask them to officially confirm the mortgage has been settled and they have no claim on the property. If you don’t know the bank or other lending party their name should be in the certificate from the Land Registry where the mortgage is mentioned.

There used to be a 0,5% tax to pay cancel a mortgage but this no longer applies so you will only have to pay the bank’s cost to have a Notarised confirmation prepared and also the Land Registry fees to have it registered. Your lawyer should obtain estimates of these costs and advise the vendor you would be claiming these from him if he is not prepared to register the cancellation himself.

Good Luck

Terry English