Reply To: Selling in UK and buying in Spain in same Spanish Tax Year

Spanish Property Insight Forums Spanish Property Forums Property Questions & Answers Selling in UK and buying in Spain in same Spanish Tax Year Reply To: Selling in UK and buying in Spain in same Spanish Tax Year

jp1
Participant

How would the tax authorities know that you are resident? You have to declare yourself resident. During a transition period, in moving from your home country to Spain the dates of fiscal residency will be when you declare them, there is no other way for a tax authority to know otherwise.

I own a holiday home in Spain.  If I decided to move to Spain tomorrow it would be impossible for the UK or Spanish Tax authority to know the exact date I cease to become fiscally resident in the UK and take up fiscal residency in Spain, especially if moving between the two countries regularly unless I have specific interests in one or other country such as work, children in school etc needing the necessity to register these details.

If your sister is buying a house in Spain and then becoming fiscally resident when she starts to live there and then selling her UK house at a later date then she needs to abide by the fiscal rules of Spain at the point of selling.

You mentioned in your earlier post that your sister won’t permanently live in Spain until the UK house is sold. If this is the case then she doesn’t have a problem. However, I suspect that this not the case.