Reply To: TELEGRAPH: I don't buy into the ex-pat dream of a villa in the sun

Spanish Property Insight Forums Spanish Property Forums Spanish Real Estate Chatter TELEGRAPH: I don't buy into the ex-pat dream of a villa in the sun Reply To: TELEGRAPH: I don't buy into the ex-pat dream of a villa in the sun

Chris Nation
Participant

And I don’t buy into the trad English middle class dream of a cottage in the country with roses round the door, lupins in the garden, a village green with a pub on the boundary of the cricket field…

Many do. Good luck to them. One major reason I want to move to Spain is that I want city life. I want to be able to walk out onto the street and be in a cafe within a few minutes, be surrounded by people going about their business, cultural institutions tempting me in to see whatever … And having lived in central London [R. Albert Hall 5 mins walk] for 30 years I’m sorry to say that I am entirely spoiled for the other cities of UK and, as London is now way beyond my budget, I have had to look ex-UK.

But I no more want golf, sangria and a villa on a costa than I do the English country idyll. Before anyone points out the ‘costa’ lifestyle look of my avatar, I fancy that’s me after a 30 minute trip on a hot #19 bus from Plaza Ayuntamiento, Valencia, to a table outside Bobo’s, on the city’s beach.

The writer of the Telegraph article clearly has a very narrow view of what draws people to Spain.