Reply To: Catalonia fines Airbnb €30,000 for offering illegal tourist home rentals

Spanish Property Insight Forums Spanish Property Forums Spanish Real Estate Chatter Catalonia fines Airbnb €30,000 for offering illegal tourist home rentals Reply To: Catalonia fines Airbnb €30,000 for offering illegal tourist home rentals

GarySFBCN
Participant

It isn’t only taxes.  I bought my home in a residential building.  It now has three tourist rentals and it has become a nuisance, the last incident requiring police action (I wasn’t among the many neighbors who called the police).

Of course, the ‘communidad’ has the final say, but AirBnB and other similar services could place a message on their websites about proper behavior when renting in a residential building, but they refuse to do so.

I’m guessing that building comunidades across Spain will prohibit tourist rentals within their buildings.  It is kind of sad as I realize that many are desperate for money in the horrible Spanish economy.

And it would take such a small effort to make it work.  But those who profit from these types of tourist rentals are unwilling to take the small steps required to ensure that neighbors aren’t affected.