Building a new house

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • #52429

      I am trying to find out how to put together a ‘project’ to build a new house on an urban plot, I am at the point of having the old house demolished but am unsure of the procedure re the permissions / licence’s
      Do I have an architect refine my drawings first (commit to paying) or can I get an outline planning license first?
      I am in Albunol, Granada

    • #67282

      First off – you need permission (a licence) to demolish the existing building and you need to apply for this at least one month before you want to start demolition works.
      There is no such thing as outline PP – you have to go the whole hog and submit your proyecto which has been stamped by your architect right from the start.

    • #67283

      Would suggest you get 3 proposals from different architects for both the project to get the demolition licence and also for the new build. Would also talk to your local council about the time they need to grant the demolition licence.

      Good luck

      Terry English

    • #67284

      Your local council planning department should be able to give you a couple of photocopied sheets that briefly specify the building requirements for a given urban area.

      Known as ordananzas they detail the minimum plot size, number of floors, parking places, building materials and colours, etc. A local architect will also have all this information on file.

      Don’t assume that you will be able to copy all of the characteristics of the building that currently occupies the plot.

    • #67304

      As they’ve told you before you will be needing license both for demolishing & building…

      Both operations need projects to be signed by a professional and also a study (basic or full depending of the magnitude of the works) on workers security & health issues will be needed.

      It’s of most importance what Rawlins said about not assuming the new building may have same characteristics of the previous one as local planning regulations may have changed so you could find yourself with an area where building has been limited or restricted.

      Do first of all contact an architect, as many times it could be far more better to restore the old construction than building a new different one as in restoring you can generally keep the characteristics your previous dwelling had.

      No license will be granted without a project. An ‘Aparejador’ (medium grade technician) will do for the demolishing but you will need an architect for the building, so many times best thing (cheaper) is to hire the architect to make both projects.

      The building project has two different stages. Basic Project and Execution Project (Sometimes they can be merged in a single document if construction is not too big)

      First one outlines the characteristics of the future house and can be used to get the building license (It’s the one the Town Hall will examine to check if you fulfill planning regulations) the other one is the complete description of the means, resources, services, etc… needed to carry out the building.

      My advice is to contact an architect before doing anything. Even if you get an initial information from the Town Hall specifying what you can do in your plot (Not too easy sometimes and definitely not a fast procedure) it’s real hard to know what exactly you can do as that has to be reviewed by an expert.

      So take your drawings to the architect and ask him to make you an ‘Anteproyecto’ (initial designs) to see if he can fit in planning regs just what you really want.

      Remember you will need both an architect and a ‘aparejador’ (he will be the technician in immediate charge of the works supervision) for the building (only one of them for the demolishing)

      Since mid 90s architects fees are to be set freely. However every official architect’s association will have an indicative fee list usually going from 12 to 4% of the project estimated cost depending of the gross area to be built (a 10% in an average building between 200 and 600 square meters)

      This fee will usually (this is not compulsory) be divided among the different stages of the building process in two ways:

      1) 15% to study your case; 10% for initial drawings; 15% basic project; 30% execution project; 25% works supervision and 5% final certification.

      2) the standard and most commonly used in single-family house buildings: 70% for the projection stage (including the initial drawings and the full project merged in one document) and 30% for supervision and final certification.

      An additional 1% will be generally charged for the compulsory health & security study (but if the building isn’t too big the architect will include this work in basic project not charging the extra fee)


    • #67463

      Thank you for your replies
      I have seen one architect and was a little surprised at his fee, having said he could produce drawings in two weeks, I think 7200€ is a bit high.
      ( a 3 bed 2 bathroom house from my drawings)
      Is there a formula for calculating fees, such as how many square metres,
      Would the fee cover more than his time at the drawing board / computer?

    • #67465

      @paulonroughground wrote:

      Would the fee cover more than his time at the drawing board / computer?

      You need to ask him that question, not us!
      Never accept a quote at face value, get it in writing what it covers i.e. a breakdown, ask what extras there could be and how they would be charged etc.
      What is the approx value of the project? An indication of architects’ fees as a % of this has been given above.

    • #67466

      Yes there are formulas but remember that architect fees are free (free agreement between parties)

      Those formulas are only an tentative/indicative and absolutely non compulsory fees an every architects association would have it’s own (actually UE competition Laws have banned fixed/compulsory fees):

      Asturias tentative fees for a full architect work (previous studies, project, supervision and final certificate, demolishing not included) will be the following:


      Gross built area in square meters (BS)

      percentage on building budget (%)

      0 < BS ≤ 200

      200 < BS ≤ 240

      240 < BS ≤ 600

      600 < BS ≤ 666

      666 < BS ≤ 1000


      And so on

      So, a complete architect work in a say 200 square meter house should cost you (following this non compulsory minimun fees) with a total building cost of 650.- €/ square meter

      Budget = 200 x 650 = 130,000.00.- Euro

      130,000 x 10% = 13,000.00.- Euro plus VAT

      Demolishing works (40% = project and 60% supervision)

      Fee = cubic meters to demolish x 1.4 in Euros

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Real Estate Topics, News & Discussion​’ is closed to new topics and replies.