Find an insurance broker

If you take out a mortgage in Spain you may find that you need to take out insurance specified by your mortgage lender. However if this is not the case, or you do not use a mortgage, then you will need to make your own arrangements to insure your property.

There are many English-speaking insurance brokers operating in Spain (as well as brokers in the UK offering insurance for property in Spain) and you are unlikely to have any difficulty arranging insurance. Ideally you will need insurance cover to start the moment you take possession of the property but in many cases you won’t be able to get a binding quote until a couple of weeks before the policy is due to start. However you can and should look into the question of insurance and try and find a good broker when you first start looking for property. Doing so makes it easier for you to get the best quote with the least hassle when the time comes.

There are many other things that you can look into at this stage, for instance surveyors, appraisal companies, furniture providers and security companies. Anything you can do to bring forward the work and get everything in place before you buy will help you to stay in control of events rather than the other way around. If you have balanced the workload over the period of your search you will find the negotiation and purchase stage much easier and less stressful. It also enables you to evaluate and select the best products and providers, and keep costs down.

Leave a Reply