Why Spain is becoming an export powerhouse

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 50 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of katy katy 3 years, 8 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #56439
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    http://focus.ie.edu/why-spain-becoming-export-powerhouse

    Interesting points. The one that caught my eye was point 2


    when Spain’s competitiveness dropped drastically between1998 and 2007, numerous gurus said off the record that it was because the cost of labor units had risen faster than that of our trading partners, and that therein lay the origin of our crisis. What they didn’t mention, however, is that said rise was due to a statistical quirk resulting from the creation of masse employment in the construction sector, where low levels of productivity per capita where the norm, and that this is what pushed Spain’s competitiveness figures down. The Ford factory in Valencia, for example, continued to be just as competitive. This is why Spain managed to maintain its world share of exports during these “bad” years, while the same cannot be said of the UK, Italy or France.

    and the final bit…


    Spain will not exit the crisis if it is led by vacuous state figures, no matter how much they say that it was they who saved the day when it is eventually all behind us. Spain will be led out of this by anonymous people who spend their lives in planes, opening up markets for Spanish products by means of sheer determination.

  • #116594
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    @thanks for posting the above. I hope all that is correct with the customery ” mas o minus ” for the sake of the youngsters.

  • #116595
    Profile photo of GarySFBCN
    GarySFBCN
    Participant

    One thing that has puzzled me is that people constantly rant about how awful Spain’s unions are. But, excepting for a few luck air traffic controllers, flight attendants, etc, the wages in Spain are abysmal. How is this an indication of strong unions? How are these pathetically-low wages to blame for anything?

  • #116596
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    Many have been discussing this link on another forum. A few have pointed out that the site may be rather biased seeing as it is put out from a private profit making university which has little track record. Exports are up…from what…and so it the defecit 🙄

  • #116597
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    Many have been discussing this link on another forum. A few have pointed out that the site may be rather biased seeing as it is put out from a private profit making university which has little track record. Exports are up…from what…and so it the defecit 🙄

    Well I guess its MBA did fall down to 11 in the FT top 100 rankings this year:

    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/ie-business-school

    but it’s still the 4th best in Europe and above Cambridge and Oxford

    (but then again I might be biased because I’ve played rugby against these guys a few times 😉 )

  • #116598
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @garysfbcn wrote:

    One thing that has puzzled me is that people constantly rant about how awful Spain’s unions are. But, excepting for a few luck air traffic controllers, flight attendants, etc, the wages in Spain are abysmal. How is this an indication of strong unions? How are these pathetically-low wages to blame for anything?

    My gripe about the unions relates to Spanish employment laws which have led to the current situation where it is incredibly expensive for companies to make permanent workers redundant, and which means that employees are trapped into doing the same job for years on end, and employers can’t recruit new people because nobody moves on (this actually contributes to wages being so low)

    I don’t think it’s necessarily the unions’ fault though – in the past Spanish companies were excessively abusive towards employees (e.g. a women getting pregnant would usually mean an instant dismisal) and this has rightly been clamped down on – however there now exists a destructive “us and them” attitude in many Spanish workplaces, and it’s frustrating that it’s taking so long for Spain to move on from this. Unfortunately the unions don’t seem to be helping.

  • #116599
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    powerhouse?? the best export is our young that leave to find a future!!!! 😥 😥 😥 😥 !; and salaries here are very high compared to other Euro countries. Try opening a business and employ a few staff 😯 😯 😯 😯 as for the unions most are facing criminal charges for fraud and bribery this year 🙄 🙄 🙄

  • #116600
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    That University takes anyone who can pay 🙄

  • #116601
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @UBEDA wrote:

    powerhouse?? the best export is our young that leave to find a future!!!! 😥 😥 😥 😥 !; and salaries here are very high compared to other Euro countries. Try opening a business and employ a few staff 😯 😯 😯 😯 as for the unions most are facing criminal charges for fraud and bribery this year 🙄 🙄 🙄

    Yes the word “powerhouse” might be a bit …. hmmm …. “premature”.

    However the underlying phenomenon is interesting. On the one hand you’ve got the UK with the power to devalue the pound and theoretically make its exports more competitive, rebalance its economy, etc, but it’s trade deficit is getting worse and it looks like Osborne is reverting to trying to manufacture a housing boom to generate any kind of growth (the kind of policies people used to take the piss out of Spain for). On the other hand you’ve got Spain which is supposedly trapped in the wrong currency (in many respects it is) but is somehow getting close to a trade surplus. This has been going on for too long to be a “blip” and it needs explaining. The article above at least attempts to explain this.

  • #116602
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    That University takes anyone who can pay 🙄

    Any evidence to back up this claim? (I’m not denying what you say – but I’m surprised you’d know such a detail about a university with “little track record”)

  • #116603
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Although the date on which the article was written frightens me, it seems logical and encouraging for the Spanish export economy. Their trade with Morocco has doubled in the last years.

    Proximity and historical ties are obvious, but I’ve always thought the trade to consist of illegal substances only, apart from carpets, silly me.

    My attitude is a typical European one, the world stops at the Bosporus and Africa is a dark continent mired in poverty. I know I’m wrong on both counts.

    http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/04/01/inenglish/1364823792_187969.html

  • #116604
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @Rocker wrote:

    Although the date on which the article was written frightens me, it seems logical and encouraging for the Spanish export economy. Their trade with Morocco has doubled in the last years.

    Proximity and historical ties are obvious, but I’ve always thought the trade to consist of illegal substances only, apart from carpets, silly me.

    My attitude is a typical European one, the world stops at the Bosporus and Africa is a dark continent mired in poverty. I know I’m wrong on both counts.

    http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/04/01/inenglish/1364823792_187969.html

    Well spotted! (don’t worry about the date, the Spanish have 28 dec as their Fool’s day)

    It’s obvious that if good relations are maintained, then north Africa, and particularly Morocco, is a great opportunity for spanish companies, and at least in this case they seem to be taking it. I came across the odd Moroccan working in Madrid and by and large they seemed at ease and happy in their work.
    On a broader note, I’ve had the feeling for some time that Africa has immense potential, despite its political difficulties. There was a special feature on the continent in the Economist a few weeks back. However the chances are that China are getting in first.

  • #116605
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    A lot of fruit and veg in UK supermarkets is now from Morocco and it’s good.

    According to this from Edward Hughes the news is a flea on an Elephants ear!

    Another example is the urgent need to restore additional export competitiveness to the economy. Despite all the claims that the recent labor market reforms need time to work it is already evident that what has been done is far too little far too late. Exports have improved considerably, and the current account balance is moving into surplus. Yet despite this sterling performance the economy still contracted by 0.7% in the last three months of last year, and this during a period when the government was running at least a 7% annual fiscal deficit.

  • #116606
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    @chopera wrote:

    @katy wrote:
    That University takes anyone who can pay 🙄

    Any evidence to back up this claim? (I’m not denying what you say – but I’m surprised you’d know such a detail about a university with “little track record”)

    A discussion pulled from Google. You see our friend Marcus had already put this subject, with the same heading on another forum. Great minds think alike eh 😉 😆

  • #116607
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    With some world-class exceptions like Santander & Inditex, Spanish employers are not exactly models of excellence (just look at recent presidents of the patronal!) but the unions take the biscuit.

    Spanish trade union leaders are hypocrites. They always talk about solidaridad whilst protecting very narrow self-interests.

    They are backward looking, fighting 18C class wars. They have no understanding of the global economy we now live in.

    They seem intent on sinking the ship we are all sailing on, rather than help make it go faster.

    I read somewhere (The Economist, I think) that they reflect their membership (male, 50+, not very well educated), so I guess it’s no surprise. But they have too much power in Spanish society.

    They are a big part of the reason why we have 26pc unemployment, 50pc+ youth unemployment, and abysmally low wages. But rather than do some soul-searching and looking at what they can do to improve the situation, all they can do is strike. That really helps.

    I should add that I think organised labour is a good and necessary thing. But like everything in life, it depends how it’s done.

  • #116608
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Why is Spanish (and Eurozone) unemployment still rising in the powerhouse of Europe, it seems to contradict the report? Are they going to do something to address this large figure of unemployed 🙄 ? Low wages = more profitability for companies 😉

    Also, how quickly will this reduce the number of unsold homes in Spain 🙄 ?

    Why are so many well educated Spaniards having to export themselves to find decent work 😉 ?

  • #116609
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    A lot of fruit and veg in UK supermarkets is now from Morocco and it’s good.

    According to this from Edward Hughes the news is a flea on an Elephants ear!

    Another example is the urgent need to restore additional export competitiveness to the economy. Despite all the claims that the recent labor market reforms need time to work it is already evident that what has been done is far too little far too late. Exports have improved considerably, and the current account balance is moving into surplus. Yet despite this sterling performance the economy still contracted by 0.7% in the last three months of last year, and this during a period when the government was running at least a 7% annual fiscal deficit.

    Yes there’s a difference between having booming exports and having a booming economy – which Spain obviously isn’t. My interest was more technical rather than trying to talk Spain up or down – I want to know the reasons behind Spain’s increasing exports.

  • #116610
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Well, I expected the Spain-haters to either deny it’s happening (“look, it must be untrue and comes from a biased website, even though it’s reported on various other sites”) OR state it’s too small (denying the trend). But I didn’t expect Katy to use both arguments as they logically contradict each other.. 😆
    But it is the way out of the crisis. When the government states that overall growth will resume by year end, and that unemployment will fall – well I believe there is a good chance of that, providing the growth of exports over the last 3 years continues.
    I like to peruse this page from time to time
    http://www.europapress.es/economia/empresas-00339/
    As well as company reports (sometimes sales or profits are up, sometimes down) and other news that can be depressing (such as job cutting). it often reports on new contracts. Today it seems that ACS have won a 60 million contract to build a road in Florida, and Ros Roca have won a garbage collection contract in Malaysia. Other days you can read of far larger export deals. As the quote further up states, it’s the large number of anonymous sales guys getting on planes everyday who will bring about the Spanish recovery.

  • #116611
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Marcus off again on his Spain haters posts, when others post how the ‘powerhouse’ example correlates with current problems mentioned of which he cannot deny. Also how, the ‘powerhouse’ example posted ‘here and there’ will reduce unemployment and over-supply of housing, not unreasonable to debate is it ❓ 🙄

    BTW Marcus, we’re off to Spain shortly for one of our regular trips, to visit: friends, the lakes, tapas bars, enjoy the wines, eating out, chiringuitos, a few estate agents, get some sun, museum, countryside, shopping and lots more, we just love our trips 😆

  • #116612
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    Twisting the truth again Marcus…I never said exports weren’t up. I said they were bigging it up..Powerhouse indeed 😆 The University is bigging up because it wants people to buy in to it’s courses. See the claim about jobs to be created on it’s web 😆

    Why are you being selective. You have quoted Government figures on the economy but not the more recent ones from the Bank of Spain which refute those figures. I know whose I would trust. Here it is from a proper news site. Sure you will have read it but choose to ignore it.

    MADRID, March 26 (Reuters) – Spain’s economy will sink deeper into recession this year, the Bank of Spain said on Tuesday, sending a stark message to the government as it prepares to revise its own growth forecast.

  • #116613
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    ACS have won a 60 million contract to build a road in Florida, and Ros Roca have won a garbage collection contract in Malaysia

    What effect will these have on Spain’s economy 😕

  • #116614
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    Twisting the truth again Marcus…I never said exports weren’t up. I said they were bigging it up.

    You’ve been a constant denier of any good news (see also the rise in foreign house buyers). I didn’t expect you to change your spots.. 😆

    And the government has stated many times that it expects growth to resume by year-end. If they’re right, we’ll see soon enough. And if they’re wrong, and you’re right, you’ll be able to gloat. But as with your previous years’ predictions (bank runs, Santander will collapse, no future for spain) you’ll be proven wrong yet again.

    By the way @chopera, no wonder the Spanish are abled to focus on exports and fight back against the crisis, and yet the UK with the “advantage” of its own currency is stagnating in that area. We’ve stopped making things (well, stopped looking for new markets, we still have some good markets) and content to rest on laurels and instead spend years on talkboards trying to sneer at another country.

  • #116615
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    ACS have won a 60 million contract to build a road in Florida, and Ros Roca have won a garbage collection contract in Malaysia

    What effect will these have on Spain’s economy 😕

    Well of course, construction type companies will often employ a number of local workers (I had a contract once with a big Spanish outfit in London), but..

    Do you not think that any back office staff are used in these types of company?
    Do you not think that engineers are trained up and employed before being located abroad on contracts?
    Do you not think that the sales staff may be rewarded for gaining these contracts?
    Do you not think that Spanish pension funds or banks never take dividends from their holdings in Spanish companies?
    Do you think that company managers. directors, or staff sent to fulfill the contract never spend money in Spain, even if employed abroad? – Remittances into the country from Spanish working abroad has soared in the last year.

  • #116616
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    @chopera wrote:
    @katy wrote:
    That University takes anyone who can pay 🙄

    Any evidence to back up this claim? (I’m not denying what you say – but I’m surprised you’d know such a detail about a university with “little track record”)

    A discussion pulled from Google. You see our friend Marcus had already put this subject, with the same heading on another forum. Great minds think alike eh 😉 😆

    Ok I think I found the thread you are referring to. The thread title comes from the title of the article – a bit sensationalist I agree – but the fact is Spain is about to go into a trade surplus while at the same time enduring a huge economic slump. How has that come about?

  • #116617
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Chopera, your guess is as good as mine, heaven forbid more clever accounting involved in Spain again, it is contradictory to say the least 🙄 😯 😮 😕 😆

  • #116618
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @dbmarcos99 wrote:

    @katy wrote:
    ACS have won a 60 million contract to build a road in Florida, and Ros Roca have won a garbage collection contract in Malaysia

    What effect will these have on Spain’s economy 😕

    Well of course, construction type companies will often employ a number of local workers (I had a contract once with a big Spanish outfit in London), but..

    Do you not think that any back office staff are used in these types of company?
    Do you not think that engineers are trained up and employed before being located abroad on contracts?
    Do you not think that the sales staff may be rewarded for gaining these contracts?
    Do you not think that Spanish pension funds or banks never take dividends from their holdings in Spanish companies?
    Do you think that company managers. directors, or staff sent to fulfill the contract never spend money in Spain, even if employed abroad? – Remittances into the country from Spanish working abroad has soared in the last year.

    I suspect that if the company is registered in Spain then some of the profits will be taxed in Spain – although I guess it depends on how the company is set up overseas.

  • #116619
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Has to be said that part of is lower cost workers. A lot of car companies have announced major expansion in Spain this year – and they’re not there to sell to the internal market which has been in decline. They are there to build cars at low cost to export.
    For instance, just announced – Ford to boost Kuga production

    http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/7143-ford-to-boost-kuga-production-in-spain-by-10-pct.html

  • #116620
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    You have been listing all these business “successes” since you joined and they haven’t made a blind bit of difference to the economy, infact things have got worse!

    Spanish figures and stats 🙄 Suppose you saw they tried a bit of creative accounting for last years defecit but the EU rumbled them 😆 Bit naughty, putting Decembers payments foward into January…wonder what else they are fiddling :mrgreen:

  • #116621
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    You have been listing all these business “successes” since you joined and they haven’t made a blind bit of difference to the economy, infact things have got worse!

    Spanish figures and stats 🙄 Suppose you saw they tried a bit of creative accounting for last years defecit but the EU rumbled them 😆 Bit naughty, putting Decembers payments foward into January…wonder what else they are fiddling :mrgreen:

    The thread is about Spain’s ever increasing export growth Katy.

    hth

    😆

  • #116622
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Ooh look! Another one announced today! (a co-operation contract this time)

    http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/main-line/contract-awarded-for-gdansk-airport-link.html?channel=542

    POMERANIAN Metropolitan Railway (PKM) has awarded a €141m contract to build a 17km line linking Gdansk and Gdynia with Lech Walesa Airport to a consortium of Spanish construction group Ferrovial and Budimex, Poland.

  • #116623
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    I think Zero Hedge is a good read and this article gives solid reasons as to why Spanish exports have been driven by a weak euro currency and why they think it won’t last, why the Europe crisis is about to start all over again but the real powerhouse Germany has put it’s own house in order by having gold to fall back on when things go wrong 🙄

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-21/stran … sh-exports

    Quote ‘Events my dear boy, events’ 🙄 They are out of our hands but determine how things will go, apart from manipulation 😉

  • #116624
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    “I suspect that if the company is registered in Spain then some of the profits will be taxed in Spain – although I guess it depends on how the company is set up overseas”

    Of course it would be registered abroad. Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau comes to mind. Besides as part of the deal these contracts could be Corporation tax exempt. Apart that these projects are of national interest.

  • #116625
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    @dbmarcos99 wrote:

    @katy wrote:
    You have been listing all these business “successes” since you joined and they haven’t made a blind bit of difference to the economy, infact things have got worse!

    Spanish figures and stats 🙄 Suppose you saw they tried a bit of creative accounting for last years defecit but the EU rumbled them 😆 Bit naughty, putting Decembers payments foward into January…wonder what else they are fiddling :mrgreen:

    The thread is about Spain’s ever increasing export growth Katy.

    hth

    😆

    I can post what I want nothing to do with you and it has a bearing on the way we view any other figures. Your stuff is stupid…of course Spain will get contracts, it’s struggling not shut for business. Even African states win contracts. Sometimes you act like a naive youth.

    If we are to start splitting hairs what has any of this thread got to do with spanish property ❓

    BTW whats happening on the Vegas story and Paramount 😆

  • #116626
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    I can post what I want nothing to do with you and it has a bearing on the way we view any other figures. Your stuff is stupid…of course Spain will get contracts, it’s struggling not shut for business. Even African states win contracts. Sometimes you act like a naive youth.

    Well you’re the one who’s spent 7 years on various talkboards talking down Spain.

    But hey, perhaps you can answer Chopera’s question? (and remember they’re increasing exports at a rate the UK with its independent currency, can only dream of)

    I want to know the reasons behind Spain’s increasing exports.

    My quick answer would involve the following points:

    i Knowledge of how to provide services at a cheaper cost

    ii The very fact the internal economy is depressed forces companies to look abroad

    iii They’ve made the most of recent accomplishments, whether the top-class restaurants, the sportsmen (Nadal or the football teams) or the fast rail network. The message that Spain can compete at the very top levels on a world platform.

    But I’m sure there is more to it…

  • #116627
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    Actually Marcos unlike you I actually lived in Spain for the majority of the time i have been on this forum. You are known on the other forum as the guy who loves Spain but can’t crack it to live there 😆 Aside from a couple of weekends your knowledge of Spain is all off the internet ,pathetic. Then you seem to have got Chopera firing bullets for you, we aren’t daft on here 🙄 Never mind if you work hard enough directing clicks to those sites like Ibex salad and twittering you may get enough dosh for more than a couple of weekends a year 💡

    I too would like to know why the rising export figure hasn’t made a dent in the economy and unemployment. Just been reading that over 30,000 Spaniards applied for a national Insurance no. in the UK last year. Perhaps it’s because of the lower tax rate and lots of darned good restaurants…or simply cos they couldn’t even get a job picking olives :mrgreen:

  • #116628
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    Actually Marcos unlike you I actually lived in Spain for the majority of the time i have been on this forum. You are known on the other forum as the guy who loves Spain but can’t crack it to live there 😆 Aside from a couple of weekends your knowledge of Spain is all off the internet ,pathetic. :

    Well actually I’ve worked and lived in Spain, in Madrid. Which is perhaps why I smell a rat when you spout such nonsense as “coffee generally costs 2 euros” or “it’s always cold in Valencia in winter”.

    Then you seem to have got Chopera firing bullets for you, we aren’t daft on here

    Ha – you’re projecting! We’ve seen you operate as a tag-team on here with Angie (and you’ve even sent PMs to each other).
    For the record I’ve never conversed with Chopera via email or PM, but I’d trust his views on a lot of things, he seems to know his stuff. Doesn’t mean we’d agree on everything either.

    Anyway – No attempt at answering the thread question then Katy?

  • #116629
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    All this repeat about the coffee, you clearly don’t know Marbella…you seem to be repeating yourself, early dementia 😀

    WTF would I be able to answer the question. Can you answer it, or why it has the exports made no difference to Spain’s economic plight which has just been predicted to be worse?

  • #116631
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Despite the usual disagreements between those who actually like Spain as a country and those who patently don’t, it seems everybody agrees that Spanish exports are powering ahead. It will bring about welcome changes to the Spanish economy as a whole, but those changes won’t be apparent tomorrow or next week, it will take time.

    To return to the ‘usual disagreements’, I admit it does stimulate debate, but when you think about it in purely human terms you have to wonder why normally sensible people turn into raving monsters when discussing an abstract entity, a ‘country’.

    My speculation stops here, I’m not an expert on psycho-analysis, nor economics, nor anything, maybe apart from the price of coffee where I live?

    I drink a lot of it when I’m out, which is most days of the week. Even when I know the various establishments get their supplies from the same source, it still tastes different wherever I go, even if they use the same coffee machines.

    I’ve come to the conclusion that ambience dictates taste. Even Lidl coffee tastes good when drinking it on the rocks overlooking the sea, served by a Colombiana with a smile.

  • #116632
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    For what it’s worth I got the link from this forum:

    http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=156321&st=1410

    so no collusion with other posters on here. And while I’m at it, I might as well steal the link in the following post on that thread because that’s interesting as well:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22001354

    In that article Peston concentrates mainly on the UK’s failure to improve its trade deficit despite devaluing the pound (he includes a point I’ve made a few times that devaluing doesn’t help so much if the things you export require raw materials to be imported first) but he also contrasts the UK with Spain and Ireland.

  • #116634
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Marcus, the words ‘pot,kettle and black’ spring to mind when you talk of tag teams and pm’s to others, very childish 🙄

    BTW, what are your views on the Zero Hedge article which I will post again for you regarding reasons why Spanish exports have risen and their projection for the future ❓ 🙄

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-21/strange-case-diverging-spanish-exports

  • #116635
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Marcus, the words ‘pot,kettle and black’ spring to mind when you talk of tag teams and pm’s to others, very childish 🙄

    BTW, what are your views on the Zero Hedge article which I will post again for you regarding reasons why Spanish exports have risen and their projection for the future ❓ 🙄

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-21/strange-case-diverging-spanish-exports

    I think you should work out whether you are Angie or Caveatemptor before talking about pot,kettle etc. 😆

    But as to the Zero Hedge article – I rarely pay much attention to the sensationalist writers on there. Occasionally they get something right, but often it’s of the “stopped clock ” variety.
    For instance the article you quote states

    And it is here that the supreme irony of Europe resides: because very soon Spanish exports to the rest of the world will tumble as its goods and services are no longer competitive courtesy of a 1.33 and rising EURUSD,

    And yet the evidence is that exports have gone up dramatically in the last two years, and continue to rise (that Morocco news that Rocker posted confirms it)
    Here’s the January evidence from an article in TheLocal

    “Exports soared by 43.8 percent to Asia, 16.6 percent to Africa and 15.1 percent to Latin America”

    http://www.thelocal.es/page/view/spains-exports-help-narrow-deficit-in-january#.UV074srvjxd

    Could world trade drop? Let’s hope not. Currently things look good, with the rise in energy production from shale sources, and the general improvement in the US economy which along with Germany can help pull the rest of us out of recession.
    But, we never know how things will shape up in Korea, or Iran, or even perhaps northern Ireland or Catalunya.

  • #116636
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Marcus, my husband is caveat emptor whether you like or believe it or not, he joined because of people like you, so get used to it because he will post again for sure and we only post on this forum, unlike you under multiple identities. 😆

    I assume katy means British Expats forum when she mentions ‘you’re known as the guy who love Spain but can’t crack it to live there’, I’ve not joined that site because I’ve been on SPI so long and I wouldn’t want to take up all my time on forums.

    Maybe if you take a walk round the Park followed by a visit to either London’s Iberia or L’Albufera for a glass or two and make that decision to move to Spain, life is passing you by so don’t have regrets later, we liked our time in Spain but family was more important in the UK, (best decision we made financially) you know you want to, and a word of advice, don’t put that money into Cyprus for a long while yet until it’s problems are over 😉 I’d also advise renting first in Madrid or Valencia as they seem to be your preferences 😉

  • #116637
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Marcus, my husband is caveat emptor whether you like or believe it or not, he joined because of people like you, so get used to it because he will post again for sure and we only post on this forum, unlike you under multiple identities. 😆

    Again, I don’t post under multiple identities on this forum, that is a lie and a false accusation – You do, and were caught out logging in as someone else.
    http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6482

    Quite why you need an extra voice when you obviously operate in collusion with Katy seems strange to me. It’s fooling no-one.

  • #116638
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Marcus, the words ‘pot,kettle and black’ spring to mind when you talk of tag teams and pm’s to others, very childish 🙄

    BTW, what are your views on the Zero Hedge article which I will post again for you regarding reasons why Spanish exports have risen and their projection for the future ❓ 🙄

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-21/strange-case-diverging-spanish-exports

    Thats’s a good article, especially these graphs showing that in fact exports have been going down, but not as quickly as imports (hence the trade surplus)

    The last paragraph sums it all up nicely:


    The take home here, however, is simple, and is becoming so clear, even a caveman Econ Ph.D. gets it: where other countries can and will engage in currency warfare in an increasingly more hostile manner, all rhetoric aside, it is only Europe, and its fake currency, that has central bank intervention occur to prop up the currency, not to push it lower! It is this complete outlier nature of the Eurozone to the rest of modern central banking that will ultimately be its downfall, as while in a zero sum world everyone can devalue in stepwise increments, it is the party with the inverted incentives – the ECB – that will be the short circuit of all plans to gradually at first, then very rapidly devalue all currencies against all other currencies, and then against hard assets.

    Edit to add: I don’t think the increase in exports outside of the EU is entirely down to the eurozone crisis dragging down the value of the euro last year – they seemed to double, but the euro didn’t devalue by that much.

  • #116639
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Nobody can possibly doubt that Katy and Angie, for whatever reason that is no concern of mine, consistently post any bad news they can dredge up about Spain. Nor is there any doubt that they turn on any poster who dares to post good news about Spain, and get exceedingly nasty in the process.

    I daresay it has put a lot of people off along the way, people who are looking for advice on the Spanish property market, whether good or bad, but not quite so obviously distorted for what are probably personal reasons.

    Chopera posted something important and later explained his source, but that was promptly dismissed by our malcontents, it’s not something they want to hear.

  • #116640
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Marcus you’ve slightly misunderstood my post when I mentioned ‘we only post on this forum, unlike you’ the ‘multiple identities’ part was a reference to you on other forums not this one, so forgive me if that confused you. ❗

    I’ve sometimes considered Foe-ing you as several others have already, but some of your links are ok, others are rather miniscule in the big scheme of things, but you know your rhetoric acts as an irresistible magnet sometimes and it occasionally needs to be balanced with the major stories in the Press which could impact on people thinking of moving to Spain, hence the forum I suppose, SPI 😉

    Only time will tell if exports continue to rise and if Zero Hedge is wrong, there’s other similar articles written by all sorts of economists, forecasters who say similar, but then there’s a lot of Spanish propaganda saying otherwise, they might have a reason to say all is good, whereas I’m not sure what the gain is for the down grade forecasters is. I do admire your greater knowledge though, not sure I totally agree with you but happy to hear your evidence for your case 😉

    Don’t get too het-up when we post our views, the world is full of opposite views, it’s not good for stress, debate is the way forward 😉

  • #116642
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @dbmarcos99 wrote:

    I want to know the reasons behind Spain’s increasing exports.

    My quick answer would involve the following points:

    i Knowledge of how to provide services at a cheaper cost

    ii The very fact the internal economy is depressed forces companies to look abroad

    iii They’ve made the most of recent accomplishments, whether the top-class restaurants, the sportsmen (Nadal or the football teams) or the fast rail network. The message that Spain can compete at the very top levels on a world platform.

    But I’m sure there is more to it…

    Yes I think there’s a lot to this as well – if the internal market is screwed then companies have no option other than to look overseas.

  • #116644
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    …and I wonder who posted the export powerhouse story on House price crash 8) Our marcus posts as…. 😆 An almost advertising article from a little known site suddenly appear with the same thread title on several sites…yeah, right ok.

    Just for the record, I don’t hate Spain, I tired of it and didn’t feel secure anymore. I prefered it as it was before the building boom. If you like the concrete costas and spoilt inland pueblos fine. We still go back for short breaks but mainly to see relatives and friends. Responding to some of the outrageous bigging up of Spain with the same old links by our resident Minister for propoganda and pointing out the truth doesn’t mean I don’t like Spain. Just trying to be helpful and save a few pensioners thinking everything is hunky dory and throwing away their life savings.

  • #116645
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    …and I wonder who posted the export powerhouse story on House price crash 8) Our marcus posts as…. 😆 An almost advertising article from a little known site suddenly appear with the same thread title on several sites…yeah, right ok.

    Nope, wrong again! 🙂 From Chopera’s link it appears that the post was by a poster called “Winkie” and the thread itself (quite a large one with plenty of negative stuff about Spain to keep you and Angie happy) was started by “realistbear”. Neither of whom are personally known to me, although I may have read other entries they’ve made.
    May be better to leave all this allegation stuff alone, you seem to get it 100% wrong most of the time? 😉

  • #116646
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Marcus you’ve slightly misunderstood my post when I mentioned ‘we only post on this forum, unlike you’ the ‘multiple identities’ part was a reference to you on other forums not this one, so forgive me if that confused you. ❗

    I’ve sometimes considered Foe-ing you as several others have already, but some of your links are ok, others are rather miniscule in the big scheme of things, but you know your rhetoric acts as an irresistible magnet sometimes and it occasionally needs to be balanced with the major stories in the Press which could impact on people thinking of moving to Spain, hence the forum I suppose, SPI 😉

    Only time will tell if exports continue to rise and if Zero Hedge is wrong, there’s other similar articles written by all sorts of economists, forecasters who say similar, but then there’s a lot of Spanish propaganda saying otherwise, they might have a reason to say all is good, whereas I’m not sure what the gain is for the down grade forecasters is. I do admire your greater knowledge though, not sure I totally agree with you but happy to hear your evidence for your case 😉

    Don’t get too het-up when we post our views, the world is full of opposite views, it’s not good for stress, debate is the way forward 😉

    I’m impressed with your change of tactics – got me on the back foot 🙂
    For what it’s worth my opinion is that property buying as a speculative measure, doesn’t have much of a future either in Spain, or in other western countries like France or the UK. It’s the one area left where governments can rake in extra taxes at will, and they will need to do so.
    Germany and Poland, much as I hate to agree with PeterHun, are probably better bets for rises in house prices.
    I do however think there will be bargains around in Spain for some time to come, but prospective buyers should factor in all the costs, and buy it as a place to live, not as a money-making measure which is unlikely to happen.

  • #116649
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    From an ex-pat point of view it would be better if Spain and the eurozone didn’t do well :mrgreen: Just think if the Spanish economy did begin to boom again…rising prices for everything, parity for sterling. On the other hand if the European project continues to fail ex-pats in Spain will have a lot more spending power. Doesn’t matter if the country fails if your income is from the UK 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.