The true level of unemployment in Spain

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 44 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DBMarcos99 DBMarcos99 4 years, 4 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #56927
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Currently the official unemployment rate in Spain stands at 24% but is the real unofficial level of unemployment in Spain much higher? The reason why I ask this question is that government statistics such as the inflation rate, unemployment rate, growth figures all tend to get massaged or manipulated to look better that what they really are in both Britian and Spain. For instance, in Britain the official unemployment rate is about 10% of the workforce but in realilty so many people who are out of work are not included in the official figures because they are on incapacity benefit or because they have given up looking for work altogether or are not elegibile to sign on because they have too much savings etc.. I reckon that the true unemployment rate in Britain is almost certainly double what the official figure is and is therefore more like around 20% rather then the official 10%. Therefore, given that spain’s official unemployment rate stands at 24% I reckon that the true unemployment rate in Spain is more double this and in reality stands at 48% which means that one in two of the workforce is out of work.

    If this correct then it is truely a stuff of revolution and a revolution is in the making in Spain as things are only likely to get alot worse for the economy, especially when Spain will inevitably drop out of the Euro and reverts back to the Peseta, resulting in a massive devaluation in the currency and a subsequent steep rise in inflation and interest rates.

  • #110881
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    ” Euro and reverts back to the Peseta”
    You seem to know something that we dont. Tell us more ???

  • #110581
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    ” Euro and reverts back to the Peseta”
    You seem to know something that we dont. Tell us more ???

  • #110887
    Profile photo of Fuengi (Andrew)
    Fuengi (Andrew)
    Participant

    ahhh, but since we think the spanish government is less trustworthy that the Uks, maybe they only admitted to a third! The unemployment rate is probably closer to 72%!. Only one worker in 4, is probably working. The revolution has starting, shootings on the street, politicians being strung and quartered, they are just not posting it in the media!!.

  • #110587
    Profile photo of Fuengi (Andrew)
    Fuengi (Andrew)
    Participant

    ahhh, but since we think the spanish government is less trustworthy that the Uks, maybe they only admitted to a third! The unemployment rate is probably closer to 72%!. Only one worker in 4, is probably working. The revolution has starting, shootings on the street, politicians being strung and quartered, they are just not posting it in the media!!.

  • #110623
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Most informed articles you see state that the unemployment figures are overstated – often those on the list are working black (people always say the black economy is larger in Spain although I sometimes wonder how they know…)

    Still, at least the unemployment rate has come down over the last 3 months running. Of course you’d expect better news at this time of year, especially as the tourist numbers are proving so resilient, but it’s still good news – wasn’t June’s figures the biggest drop on record? More of that, please.

  • #110923
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Most informed articles you see state that the unemployment figures are overstated – often those on the list are working black (people always say the black economy is larger in Spain although I sometimes wonder how they know…)

    Still, at least the unemployment rate has come down over the last 3 months running. Of course you’d expect better news at this time of year, especially as the tourist numbers are proving so resilient, but it’s still good news – wasn’t June’s figures the biggest drop on record? More of that, please.

  • #110629
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Unemployment to continue rising through 2013 according to OECD for the Eurozone, Spanish drop reckoned to be normal seasonal drop due to tourist season πŸ˜‰

    http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/52255

    πŸ™„ πŸ™„

  • #110929
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Unemployment to continue rising through 2013 according to OECD for the Eurozone, Spanish drop reckoned to be normal seasonal drop due to tourist season πŸ˜‰

    http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/52255

    πŸ™„ πŸ™„

  • #110633
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Unemployment to continue rising through 2013 according to OECD for the Eurozone, Spanish drop reckoned to be normal seasonal drop due to tourist season πŸ˜‰

    http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/52255

    πŸ™„ πŸ™„

    So a “record drop” is normal? Wise up!

    I’ve heard it said that it may be down to a change in the law on domestic workers though.

  • #110933
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    Unemployment to continue rising through 2013 according to OECD for the Eurozone, Spanish drop reckoned to be normal seasonal drop due to tourist season πŸ˜‰

    http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/52255

    πŸ™„ πŸ™„

    So a “record drop” is normal? Wise up!

    I’ve heard it said that it may be down to a change in the law on domestic workers though.

  • #110635
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    And if you believe Spanish Ministerial figures, Wise Up πŸ˜†

  • #110935
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    And if you believe Spanish Ministerial figures, Wise Up πŸ˜†

  • #110638
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    And if you believe Spanish Ministerial figures, Wise Up πŸ˜†

    Ah – so it’s fine to believe figures when they support your “find fault with Spain” argument, but they are not to be believed when the tide turns…

    Your emotional attachment to talking down a country of 48 million people really will not do you any mental good.

    I fear you’re going to be knocking your head against the wall over the next years. These things come in cycles, and many economic pundits are predicting Spain will eventually come out of this a lot stronger.

    http://www.thecorner.eu/2012/07/recession-euro-area-milder-2008-lgim/

    β€œSpain is often spoken of as the next Greece, but this isn’t the case. While Spain’s public debt is rising as the economy undergoes a recession, at least the private sector is no longer borrowing. And by next year we expect exports to exceed imports and external interest payments, which effectively means Spain becomes self-financing,”

  • #110938
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    And if you believe Spanish Ministerial figures, Wise Up πŸ˜†

    Ah – so it’s fine to believe figures when they support your “find fault with Spain” argument, but they are not to be believed when the tide turns…

    Your emotional attachment to talking down a country of 48 million people really will not do you any mental good.

    I fear you’re going to be knocking your head against the wall over the next years. These things come in cycles, and many economic pundits are predicting Spain will eventually come out of this a lot stronger.

    http://www.thecorner.eu/2012/07/recession-euro-area-milder-2008-lgim/

    β€œSpain is often spoken of as the next Greece, but this isn’t the case. While Spain’s public debt is rising as the economy undergoes a recession, at least the private sector is no longer borrowing. And by next year we expect exports to exceed imports and external interest payments, which effectively means Spain becomes self-financing,”

  • #110641
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    I’ve never believed the figures that come out of Spain’s Government, I fear you’re talking a lot of cojones if you believe them, however I do accept many of the economists’ and unattached’s figures.

    One day Spain will start to as well as recover to an extent, but with record unemployment and record unsold housing stock that ain’t going to happen ‘soon’ as you bang on πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

  • #110941
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    I’ve never believed the figures that come out of Spain’s Government, I fear you’re talking a lot of cojones if you believe them, however I do accept many of the economists’ and unattached’s figures.

    One day Spain will start to as well as recover to an extent, but with record unemployment and record unsold housing stock that ain’t going to happen ‘soon’ as you bang on πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

  • #110649
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I think we should discuss Spain’s unemployment figures at the end of October :mrgreen:

  • #110949
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I think we should discuss Spain’s unemployment figures at the end of October :mrgreen:

  • #110653
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    I think we should discuss Spain’s unemployment figures at the end of October :mrgreen:

    Fine by me, but you just said you didn’t believe the figures πŸ˜†

    Classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it. If you don’t believe the figures, why then choose October as the figures you will believe πŸ™„

  • #110953
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    I think we should discuss Spain’s unemployment figures at the end of October :mrgreen:

    Fine by me, but you just said you didn’t believe the figures πŸ˜†

    Classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it. If you don’t believe the figures, why then choose October as the figures you will believe πŸ™„

  • #110662
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    It was Angie that said she didnt believe the figures.

    Katy said the figures are better interpreted in Oct, when all the tourists leave…

  • #110962
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    It was Angie that said she didnt believe the figures.

    Katy said the figures are better interpreted in Oct, when all the tourists leave…

  • #110665
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    I noticed he confused us two (me and katy) Hybrid πŸ˜†

  • #110965
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    I noticed he confused us two (me and katy) Hybrid πŸ˜†

  • #110666
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    unemployment figures fall all the time without people getting jobs, they are just not receiving benifits anymore as their allowance has run out

  • #110966
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    unemployment figures fall all the time without people getting jobs, they are just not receiving benifits anymore as their allowance has run out

  • #110667
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Good point dartboy πŸ˜‰

    Hence the reason no-one can believe Spanish Government figures, they’re massaged like those of many countries only I would think by a lot more in Spain πŸ˜‰

  • #110967
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Good point dartboy πŸ˜‰

    Hence the reason no-one can believe Spanish Government figures, they’re massaged like those of many countries only I would think by a lot more in Spain πŸ˜‰

  • #110668
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    I noticed he confused us two (me and katy) Hybrid πŸ˜†

    Well not really – you both sing from the same hymn sheet. When you send pms to each other do you discuss your latest tactics?

    Here’s what Katy said (!) on the Swedes thread

    Yes I really would question them, there are many other stats that conflict with these. There are no accurate figures coming out of Spain.

    You’re both guilty of trying to have your cake and eat it. Believe the figures when bad (no good crying, but it was on OlivePress or another site – where do you think they get their figures???), but discount them when the figures improve… No point discussing figures with that attitude?

    Still, not long now before you accuse the new poster Hybrid of being an agent or an imposter… that’s what you normally do, isn’t it Angie?

  • #110968
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @angie wrote:

    I noticed he confused us two (me and katy) Hybrid πŸ˜†

    Well not really – you both sing from the same hymn sheet. When you send pms to each other do you discuss your latest tactics?

    Here’s what Katy said (!) on the Swedes thread

    Yes I really would question them, there are many other stats that conflict with these. There are no accurate figures coming out of Spain.

    You’re both guilty of trying to have your cake and eat it. Believe the figures when bad (no good crying, but it was on OlivePress or another site – where do you think they get their figures???), but discount them when the figures improve… No point discussing figures with that attitude?

    Still, not long now before you accuse the new poster Hybrid of being an agent or an imposter… that’s what you normally do, isn’t it Angie?

  • #110670
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Off he goes again πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    Now Stevie aka DBM you are the one who wants his cake and eat it methinks:

    You’ve lived and worked in Spain Tefl for a short while, didn’t work out so back to Blighty.

    You want to live in Spain again, not sure if it’s Madrid or Valencia or somewhere else, a bit like your multiple aliases it’s lurching somewhat.

    You know unemployment in Spain is 3 times that of UK’s which makes it difficult to get a job at best of times but since you’re wrong side of 50 even worse.

    You talk the Spanish economy and market up but insist it’s a good time to buy for others whilst hoping prices keep falling for your benefit.

    You like the UK so much that if you are brave enough to make a move to Spain, you want an area say of Madrid with English style gardens and greenery with mountain views in the suburbs, whilst at the same time a short stroll to an Irish Pub, you can’t leave Blighty and it’s familiarity can you? Let’s face it, you don’t know what you really want do you?

    In psychological terms this is a classic case of ‘looping’ you keep going round in circles πŸ™„

    Not forgetting that you say something and mean another, quote ‘I will ignore you from now on’ but you can’t can you, and then you let yourself down by name calling and trying to say others have multiple aliases too? What are you like? πŸ™„

  • #110970
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Off he goes again πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    Now Stevie aka DBM you are the one who wants his cake and eat it methinks:

    You’ve lived and worked in Spain Tefl for a short while, didn’t work out so back to Blighty.

    You want to live in Spain again, not sure if it’s Madrid or Valencia or somewhere else, a bit like your multiple aliases it’s lurching somewhat.

    You know unemployment in Spain is 3 times that of UK’s which makes it difficult to get a job at best of times but since you’re wrong side of 50 even worse.

    You talk the Spanish economy and market up but insist it’s a good time to buy for others whilst hoping prices keep falling for your benefit.

    You like the UK so much that if you are brave enough to make a move to Spain, you want an area say of Madrid with English style gardens and greenery with mountain views in the suburbs, whilst at the same time a short stroll to an Irish Pub, you can’t leave Blighty and it’s familiarity can you? Let’s face it, you don’t know what you really want do you?

    In psychological terms this is a classic case of ‘looping’ you keep going round in circles πŸ™„

    Not forgetting that you say something and mean another, quote ‘I will ignore you from now on’ but you can’t can you, and then you let yourself down by name calling and trying to say others have multiple aliases too? What are you like? πŸ™„

  • #110673
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I put him a bit younger πŸ˜€ Curious to know what he does for a living as when he is not on fora he is scanning the internet for good news about Spain….unless that’s what he is paid to do πŸ˜‰

  • #110973
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I put him a bit younger πŸ˜€ Curious to know what he does for a living as when he is not on fora he is scanning the internet for good news about Spain….unless that’s what he is paid to do πŸ˜‰

  • #110675
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Say’s he’s 53 katy, not much chance of him getting a job in Spain even if he does take a leap of faith assuming he can financially!

    πŸ˜†

  • #110975
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Say’s he’s 53 katy, not much chance of him getting a job in Spain even if he does take a leap of faith assuming he can financially!

    πŸ˜†

  • #110677
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Poor old Katy and Angie. Determined to always see the bad side of Spain. Any news or facts that show good news is instantly to be dismissed by a ) stating they don’t believe the figures (but funnily enough they are happy to believe the bad figures) b ) always, always accuse the poster of being something else – maybe an agent, maybe someone mysteriously paid to enter good news on a small forum.

    Keep it up – you really are both entertaining. However it does distract from genuine info we can get here from posters like Chopera and that American guy in Barcelona – they live there and know what’s really happening.

  • #110977
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Poor old Katy and Angie. Determined to always see the bad side of Spain. Any news or facts that show good news is instantly to be dismissed by a ) stating they don’t believe the figures (but funnily enough they are happy to believe the bad figures) b ) always, always accuse the poster of being something else – maybe an agent, maybe someone mysteriously paid to enter good news on a small forum.

    Keep it up – you really are both entertaining. However it does distract from genuine info we can get here from posters like Chopera and that American guy in Barcelona – they live there and know what’s really happening.

  • #110680
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I feel sorry for the UK company who employing you now, spending all day on the web! You will have to do a bit better than that when you get a job in Spain πŸ˜†

  • #110980
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I feel sorry for the UK company who employing you now, spending all day on the web! You will have to do a bit better than that when you get a job in Spain πŸ˜†

  • #110681
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Pathetic, Stevie aka DBM, look at your profile posted earlier, it’s you who are the entertaining one, nay, hilarious one πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    Make your mind up, do you want to move to Spain or not, do you want to leave British familiarity behind or not, can you leave financially yet, do you need a job first, sort your preferable location out first, stop going round in circles, you’re a hoot ?:lol:

  • #110981
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Pathetic, Stevie aka DBM, look at your profile posted earlier, it’s you who are the entertaining one, nay, hilarious one πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

    Make your mind up, do you want to move to Spain or not, do you want to leave British familiarity behind or not, can you leave financially yet, do you need a job first, sort your preferable location out first, stop going round in circles, you’re a hoot ?:lol:

  • #110683
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Again – Keep it up – you really are both entertaining. However it does distract from genuine info we can get here from posters like Chopera and that American guy in Barcelona – they live there and know what’s really happening.

  • #110983
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    Again – Keep it up – you really are both entertaining. However it does distract from genuine info we can get here from posters like Chopera and that American guy in Barcelona – they live there and know what’s really happening.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.