Russian Billionaire buys $100 Million U.S. Mansion

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of logan logan 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

The way people spend their money…..

http://youtu.be/fyF-fj-1coY

Profile photo of logan
    logan
    Participant

Very similar to the way wool, cotton and slavery barons in the eighteenth & nineteenth centuries behaved.
    Their mansions built with cheap labour and from exploiting the working classes are littered around the north of England mostly now falling apart or been demolished.
    The difference today is some Russians became excessively wealthy from stealing state assets after the fall of the Soviets with the connivance of corrupt politicians.
    There really is nothing new under the sun, exploitation is a human pastime. 🙁

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

I would like to know. If the buyer had shown his passport & utilty bills to prove he was not money laudering.

Profile photo of logan
    logan
    Participant

I once sold a villa in Spain to a Russian who turned up at the notary with the full purchase price in cash stuffed in a plastic bag! He disappeared soon after. The villa remained empty and abandoned for years. Probably still is. 🙁

Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

@logan wrote:

I once sold a villa in Spain to a Russian who turned up at the notary with the full purchase price in cash stuffed in a plastic bag! He disappeared soon after. The villa remained empty and abandoned for years. Probably still is. 🙁

Not laundering the money then….more like throwing it away 😆

A friend and neighbour sold to an Italian who paid with a neatly packed briefcase of money (in the decade when notaries didn’t need paper trail). He lived across from us for about 5 years, nice family, very quiet. Did notice he sometimes had visitors in business suits and dark glasses. One day he was arrested by the guardia civil on an arrest warrant from Italy….he was implicated in 40 murders 😯

Just wondering, if anyone was now stupid enough to accept large amounts, what do they do with it ❓ I sold a car for cash and both banks where I have an account in Gibraltar refused to accept it! Spanish banks require you to fill in a form for the bank of Spain if the amount is over 6000 euro

Profile photo of logan
    logan
    Participant

Yes Katy it’s the EU directive on banking rules to combat money laundering. If you make a cash deposit in a French bank over €600 now you have to prove with documentation it’s origins before it’s accepted. The French are trying to combat the black economy and severe penalties are in place for transgressors.
    Perhaps it’s easier in the US and California needs money.
    A few years ago it was common place to launder black money by buying a property in Spain you didn’t really want then sell it on later. Now you require a corrupt lawyer, notary and bank manager and as we know there’s lots of ’em around. However their slice of the cake will reduce no doubt the incentive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.