Poland could adopt Euro in 2016.

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterhun peterhun 3 years, 11 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #57183
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    This will come as a surprise to most of us!

    http://news.yahoo.com/poland-could-adopt-euro-2016-presidential-adviser-110949618–business.html

    “According to calculations carried out at the President’s Chancellery, January 1 2016 is a realistic date for Poland’s accession to the euro zone,” Roman Kuzniar told radio RM FM.

  • #113959
    Profile photo of Chopera
    Chopera
    Participant

    @dbmarcos99 wrote:

    This will come as a surprise to most of us!

    http://news.yahoo.com/poland-could-adopt-euro-2016-presidential-adviser-110949618–business.html

    “According to calculations carried out at the President’s Chancellery, January 1 2016 is a realistic date for Poland’s accession to the euro zone,” Roman Kuzniar told radio RM FM.

    “We must remember that the later we do it, the harder it will be, because the euro zone will have built itself up. There will be more criteria and more treaties to ratify in order to enter it in five, six or seven years.”

    “If we don’t enter soon then we won’t get the chance to repeat the mistakes everyone else has made.”

  • #113961
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    What a tool. It’s actually the other way around. Let the others try it out and fix the misstakes and then you can join when it’s working. I hope poles make the only sensible decision and vote this idiot out.

  • #113963
    Profile photo of peterhun
    peterhun
    Participant

    Joining the Euro isn’t optional, its a requirement of joining the EU. The UK and Denmark have a formal opt-out.

    Poles are fickle voters, their can be 20% swings in polls in the course of a week. They will not vote in the anti-EU/anti-Euro party, however. Voting for PiS is to vote for a lunatic, but his party takes up 25% of the vote.
    PiS is so mistrusted by 75% of the electorate that they won’t ever get back in power in a coalition and the anti-EU vote is powerless.

    The Finance Minister http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vincent-Rostowski has explicitly said the Poland will not join the Euro until it become a viable and fit-for-purpose currency.

    So the probability is that Poland will join the Euro when it is fixed., which looks to be a few years hence.

    Poland’s overriding need is to become part of the EU and not part of the Russian Empire (again).

  • #113965
    Profile photo of DBMarcos99
    DBMarcos99
    Participant

    @peterhun wrote:

    Joining the Euro isn’t optional, its a requirement of joining the EU. The UK and Denmark have a formal opt-out.

    Poles are fickle voters, their can be 20% swings in polls in the course of a week. They will not vote in the anti-EU/anti-Euro party, however. Voting for PiS is to vote for a lunatic, but his party takes up 25% of the vote.
    PiS is so mistrusted by 75% of the electorate that they won’t ever get back in power in a coalition and the anti-EU vote is powerless.

    The Finance Minister http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vincent-Rostowski has explicitly said the Poland will not join the Euro until it become a viable and fit-for-purpose currency.

    So the probability is that Poland will join the Euro when it is fixed., which looks to be a few years hence.

    Poland’s overriding need is to become part of the EU and not part of the Russian Empire (again).

    We don’t always agree on subjects, but in this case it’s good to read your analysis. Few of us here would have a clue about Polish politics, so it’s good to have a bit of informed commentary.

  • #113966
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    @peterhun wrote:

    Joining the Euro isn’t optional, its a requirement of joining the EU. The UK and Denmark have a formal opt-out.

    Poles are fickle voters, their can be 20% swings in polls in the course of a week. They will not vote in the anti-EU/anti-Euro party, however. Voting for PiS is to vote for a lunatic, but his party takes up 25% of the vote.
    PiS is so mistrusted by 75% of the electorate that they won’t ever get back in power in a coalition and the anti-EU vote is powerless.

    The Finance Minister http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Vincent-Rostowski has explicitly said the Poland will not join the Euro until it become a viable and fit-for-purpose currency.

    So the probability is that Poland will join the Euro when it is fixed., which looks to be a few years hence.

    Poland’s overriding need is to become part of the EU and not part of the Russian Empire (again).

    I agree with Marcos totally and this is probably the best way to go about it.

  • #113969
    Profile photo of peterhun
    peterhun
    Participant

    Hmm, there is some speculation Rostowski is a potential Polish Prime Minister. A British born, Tory party member (I assume his membership has now lapsed), that would cause a stir.

    Ah, yes the Zloty is Poland’s currency and it will require a change in the the constitution to do it – that may be very difficult.

  • #113973
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    The EU require more hardworking mentality and as such Poland would be a huge bonus but I hope Poland gets the same benefits as Spain and France have enjoyed with their subsidice on agriculture etc. The funny part is now they are complaining about it being unfair though they have enjoyed those benefits for a very long time.

  • #113982
    Profile photo of peterhun
    peterhun
    Participant

    Poland is getting roads/motorways which it really needs. Company’s are already building factories to take advantage of the roads – given time that investment will pay back for the EU. Roads=jobs.

    I’ve never heard any complaints about the level of agricultural subsidies; farmers already get very special tax treatment and the EU has objected to it.

  • #113984
    Profile photo of angie
    angie
    Spectator

    Peter, I saw a programme not so long ago that was saying Poland is booming now and lots of Poles are returning home because they now have better prospects at home 😉

  • #113995
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    @peterhun wrote:

    Poland is getting roads/motorways which it really needs. Company’s are already building factories to take advantage of the roads – given time that investment will pay back for the EU. Roads=jobs.

    Now where have we heard this before :mrgreen:

  • #114038
    Profile photo of peterhun
    peterhun
    Participant

    Peter, I saw a programme not so long ago that was saying Poland is booming now and lots of Poles are returning home because they now have better prospects at home

    Not really, because wages are shit. Rising, however.

    Now where have we heard this before

    Its true because, wages are shit. Having a third of the country so well integrated with Germany that it was German until 1945, helps.

    Its going to take another decade to get to an Western average level of prosperity, depending on how fast the West falls.

    And on cue..

    “We want to join the euro zone as soon as possible, but also [when] it is advantageous and safe for Poland,” Rostowski said in parliament. “The reconstruction of the euro zone must be advanced, but we also have a lot to do in order for the entry to the euro zone to be safe.”

    “Poland will be ready to announce the date when we are sure we can comply with it,” Rostowski added. “The PM said that within several months we must set an action path, which will ensure that Poland doesn’t find itself in a limbo between a deeply integrating euro zone, not only economically but also politically, and the countries in the East such as the Russian Federation.”

    Polish PM Donald Tusk said Friday in Brussels after the close of the EU summit that Poland doesn’t need a referendum on the euro as it voiced acceptance of the economic and monetary union during its EU accession referendum. He added that actual decisions on accession to the euro zone were “a matter of some years”, but stressed that building paths towards a related political consensus would have to begin already next year.

    http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/article.php/23196/news

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.