Homes From Hell!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      katy
      Blocked

Anyone seen the programme tonight on ITV3? Seems as though no-where is safe 🙁 Egypt, Bulgaria, France and of course the usual few from Spain. The people who post on here must be just the tip of the Iceburg.

Anonymous
      Participant

Well, I dropped by the house of a British friend who gets English telly and we watched the hour-long show… which attempted to do a hatchet job on Bulgaria, Spain, France and… Egypt. That’s right, there are people who are buying in Egypt! Anyhow, apart from a piece about Velez Blanco (Murcia, according to ITV) where some Brits had bought a chicken hutch off a crook who had scampered away to Bristol, where things weren’t going well, despite him changing his name to Henry and being reduced to riding about on a bicycle, as chronicled by an Australian investigator called Bruce, the show was a bit thin. Oh, there was a piece about a family who’d bought in France next to a shooting club and the paterfamilias getting a few bits of lead in his neck, and another family who’d bought in Malaga and built their house on the Spanish neighbour’s land, who’d built a fence through their living room, but the twenty seconds of the Priors and the protest in Almeria were thrown in just to season the argument that… all things considered, anyone who wants to abandon the UK and live in foreign parts wants their head examined – by Jove.

Anonymous
      Participant

katy

hopefully, it gave out another warning that common sense and justice in the countries featured, just can’t be relied on. What more proof than the Priors case?. If you are conned or cheated, ‘tough luck’ you are on your own! Makes the UK look very cosy, despite the many faults here.

katy
      Blocked

Yes, I agree. Did you see that most of the couples were quite elderly! Imagine having all that hassle in the final stage of your life. That couple in Egypt livig in an unfinished complex and the Priors living in a converted garage.

Anonymous
      Participant

katy

yes. Just low-life cheats, bullying the old and vulnerable as they realise they can often get away with it, in a system that far to often fails to recognise common sense right from wrong!

katy
      Blocked

I must say that even though we have never had a problem I would not consider buying a home overseas after watching those programmes if I were thinking about it for the first time.

I think the British love affair with buying a home in the sun will be off for at least a few years.

Anonymous
      Participant

@katy wrote:

I must say that even though we have never had a problem I would not consider buying a home overseas after watching those programmes if I were thinking about it for the first time.

I think the British love affair with buying a home in the sun will be off for at least a few years.

Well, there were only 3500 houses bought by foreigners in 2008 in Spain, out of which probably 1/5 were British. 700 brave ones, 55 every month. 😀

Fuengi (Andrew)
      Participant

@flosmichael wrote:

Well, there were only 3500 houses bought by foreigners in 2008 in Spain, out of which probably 1/5 were British. 700 brave ones, 55 every month. 😀

I think you mean non-residents.

I know, being a bit pedantic, but the 2 are different.

Anonymous
      Participant

@Fuengi wrote:

@flosmichael wrote:

I think you mean non-residents.

I know, being a bit pedantic, but the 2 are different.

Non-residents of course. But at parity £-Euro, how many Brits moved to Spain in 2008?
      I guess much more came back…

Anonymous
      Participant

flosmichael

this never ceases to amaze me. With the £ being at parity, and the building sector on its knees, and the much reported corruption and rough justice, you would think Spain would do everything it could to restore faith in it’s traditional customers. What does it do instead, it goes out of its way to alianate those potential buyers, by doing virtually nothing to change what is seen by many as the place ‘not to buy’. What on earth are the powers that be in Spain thinking off? Surely there can’t be a better case than the Priors, for Spain to do a good public relations exercise on, by putting it right, and showing the world it intends to show a fair hand in future??

Anonymous
      Participant

@flosmichael wrote:

@katy wrote:

so that leaves only 1,000,000 minus 3500 to go 😀

Anonymous
      Participant

@boothy wrote:

@flosmichael wrote:

@katy wrote:

so that leaves only 1,000,000 minus 3500 to go 😀

Not quite, 3500 to go and 1 more million fresh. 😀

Anonymous
      Participant

I saw some of the programme.

A couple at Riogordo, I think, had bought a property and now find that there is some doubt as to whether they own the land it is built on. The spanish neighbour claims the land is his, and so therefore is the house, and he has put up a fence to deny them access.

Two registries were mentioned; evidently the property has its own plot in one registry and not in the other. I assume this refers to the Catastral and the Land Registry.

Can anyone tell me which is the most important registry to be correctly recorded in? If land is segregated in the Catastral is that sufficient?

Aunty Val
      Participant

The most important by a long way is the Property Register – that confirms that you own the property.

If you aren’t the registered owner in the Property Register then whatever problems youmay have with the Catastro are almost irrelevant!

The Catastro tends to concentrate on the description and boundaries so it is important but in a different way to the Property Register.

The problem is that lawyers have always been reluctant to focus on the Catastral records for properties because the system has been out of date and innacurate.

It will never cease to amaze me how incompetent, lazy and in some cases, criminal Spanish lawyers can be. No comeback so what’s the problem?!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Spanish Real Estate Chatter’ is closed to new topics and replies.