Bank accounts

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Anonymous Anonymous 8 years ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #54460
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    I know this isn’t strictly about property but wonder if anyone can help. We want to keep our british bank account when we move to Spain. We’ve been told that we can’t do this. Is this correct? What do most other people do? Of course we have a Spanish bank account for all the neccesary things. Thanks.

  • #87409
    Profile photo of Melosine
    Melosine
    Participant

    We keep an account with our UK Bank and Building Society.
    Both send out monthly statements.
    So whoever told you is talking rubbish.
    You can also have debit card and a checkbook but credit card facilities will not be renewed once you have left UK even if you set up a direct debit to pay it off each month.

  • #87410
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I have a credit card for a UK bank and have been out ot the country 12 years.

  • #87413
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    No problem with UK accounts. If you’ve got them keep them because with money laundering regulataions these days they are a nightmare to open.

    The only problem I have ever encountered is when a supplier is using address validation software and they say UK account = UK address (PAYPAL). I like to pay for GBP items in GBP and EUR items in EUR. I also know my HSBC cards will never fail me the world over.

    It’s an IT thing and these guys have limited intelligence.

    Maybe what someone was trying to tell you was to open a GBP account in Gibraltar – probably some half baked tax advice!

  • #87414
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I have that problem sometimes particulary with airlines. Until this year it was possible to book and pay to American Airlines in dollars (previously an advantage!) Now I have to pay in euros even though my bank converts to sterling, not so good.

    Some sites give a currency option, including Easyjet. I don’t have a Spanish credit card as they charge an annual fee. The UK does not charge.

    I suggest if you move to Spain don’t mention it and then change the address to your spanish one. If you have a problem there is always NatWest in Gibraltar, and other banks.

  • #87427
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    thanks guys for all your replies. I would be interested to know which banks /building societies because the nationwide has said we need a UK billing address. They have suggested nationwide international but that will be charging 35% tax on the interest from 2011. Do people just use an address (?family member)but live in Spain? Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I just want to be clear before we do the wrong thing. Thanks again. 🙂

  • #87428
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    I bank with HSBC Premier.

    I use a Spanish address for banking and credit cards.

    and for any transfers I always recommend Travelex.

    HiFX will lose your money with Barclays in Madrid and then tell you to sort it out and give you the number of Barclays in Madrid with details of the batch of which your transfer was included etc and they call that customer service!!!

  • #87436
    Profile photo of Melosine
    Melosine
    Participant

    I use HSBC.
    Although I set up a monthly payment plan covering my credit card Visa wouldn’t renew it, not because I lived outside UK, but in case the new card etc got lost . No problem with debit card though !!

    My BS was the Portman. They also didn’t have a problem with anyone living abroad BUT check with whoever you bank with that they will pay interest gross….the information is never offered even though you sign the tax exemption form with them …. because the Uk Government allow financial institutions to opt out thus one has to go through the bother of claiming it back.

  • #87507
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    @sandra wrote:

    I know this isn’t strictly about property but wonder if anyone can help. We want to keep our british bank account when we move to Spain. We’ve been told that we can’t do this. Is this correct? What do most other people do? Of course we have a Spanish bank account for all the neccesary things. Thanks.

    just have the mail sent to a family member if they wont allow it to be sent abroad, thats what I did

    I cant access my online banking as it recognised that I am out of the country but can still acess via phone

  • #87518
    Profile photo of Inez
    Inez
    Participant

    Im with Lloyds Tsb in the UK, the know I live here and have no problem sending statements or me using the online banking

    Guess it depends on the bank

  • #87522
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    @katy wrote:

    I have that problem sometimes particulary with airlines. Until this year it was possible to book and pay to American Airlines in dollars (previously an advantage!) Now I have to pay in euros even though my bank converts to sterling, not so good.

    Some sites give a currency option, including Easyjet. I don’t have a Spanish credit card as they charge an annual fee. The UK does not charge.

    I suggest if you move to Spain don’t mention it and then change the address to your spanish one. If you have a problem there is always NatWest in Gibraltar, and other banks.

    Katy I’ve just made a few reservations for AA and paid in sterling, just go to .co.uk site or clear your cookies and when you go to aa .com select UK and the prices will be in pounds. I even paid the bahamas to miami flight in £’s

    Ian

  • #87540
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    The problem to providing a conflicting information is sadly the lack of trained staff. Its the monkey behind the machine.

    Bank these days only expect their staff to read of the screen, this means anything outside cash payments or withdrawals they cannot deal with it.

    The staff are not trained to problem solving situations and simple things moth ball into bigger issues. Sandra must have spoken to a monkey behind the machine as he/she could not find it on her FAQ and decided it that it cannot be done, not realising that this misinformation can cause a customer loss and or lot of inconvenience. Welcome to the most noble profession ” Banking ” based on trust, honesty, and underpinned by my word is my bond.

  • #87542
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    @ian_ok wrote:

    @katy wrote:
    I have that problem sometimes particulary with airlines. Until this year it was possible to book and pay to American Airlines in dollars (previously an advantage!) Now I have to pay in euros even though my bank converts to sterling, not so good.

    Some sites give a currency option, including Easyjet. I don’t have a Spanish credit card as they charge an annual fee. The UK does not charge.

    I suggest if you move to Spain don’t mention it and then change the address to your spanish one. If you have a problem there is always NatWest in Gibraltar, and other banks.

    Katy I’ve just made a few reservations for AA and paid in sterling, just go to .co.uk site or clear your cookies and when you go to aa .com select UK and the prices will be in pounds. I even paid the bahamas to miami flight in £’s

    Ian

    Thanks, will try it as I have had a few problems with other sites too. Do I have to delete all cookies?
    Another American site I used and clicked on “contact us” opened up a window to their Spanish site which didn’t actually have a contact us! I tried their co.uk one and still it directed me straight to Spanish.

  • #87692
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Yes you need to delete all the cookies. Some sites just don’t let you view a non Spanish version – this was the case on a cruise ship website recently. However most give you an option to go to the internation version or the UK version etc…

    Remember in deleting you cookies it will delete info such as your username for various websites

    Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.