95% of new Spanish houses have defects

LoadingFavourite

This topic contains 58 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Inez Inez 9 years, 1 month ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #53412
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    There is an article in the Sur in English today which shows that if you manage to get your property completed, you are still likely to have problems with the finish.

    http://www.surinenglish.com/noticias.php?Noticia=11540

    The figures given are very worrying.

  • #75713
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Much like many of the new developments in UK then?

  • #75714
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Whilst not denying that there may be a problem specifically with some builds in Spain…to put this into perspective…ALL new builds have defects…and a “defect” could be something as “trivial” (though of course irritating to the purchaser) as a splash of paint on tiles…
    A new house in the UK, indeed anywhere in the world, would be exactly the same. There´s a UK TV program called “New Homes from Hell” about this very subject.

  • #75715
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    http://www.brickkickers.co.uk/snagging_newbuild.php

    Last new build I bought in the UK had over 75 snags some trivial most significant

  • #75719
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Informative link there.
    It is strange though that when it is Spanish properties that have defects, it always seem that people think it is unique to Spain, or is it my mis-interpretation?
    I do get the feeling that if it’s a Spanish building, it’s considered poor, where atatistics show that in UK it is no different.
    Why do so many of us Brits buy in Spain and complain afterwards?
    Take a look at any of the new large developments in UK. Is the standard that good?

  • #75720
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

    😉

    At least in the UK, buyers have some redress through the NHBC 10 year guarantee primarily, plus the Watchdog programme, Rogue Traders etc as a last recourse which often sorts out the problems. Court procedures happen quicker too, unlike 5 years or so in Spain.

    What protection do people have in Spain and other more dodgy markets, Developers often ‘go’ bankrupt, disappear, the selling agent doesn’t get involved either?

    Yes there are lots of problems with housebuilders generally but to compare the UK with Spain is a joke.

  • #75721
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    “Developers often ‘go’ bankrupt” Sorry, didn’t realise that was a unique trait to Spanish companies.
    In addition to roase tinted glasses, it seems many Brits often buy tunnel vision glasses, as they don’t seem to realise that there are many, many, rogue developers and contractors in UK.
    First hand experiece only yesterday. An employee paid £300K+ for a new house, from one of the largest and most “reputable” house builders in UK.
    The property is two months old. The defect list and schedule reaches around £50K (all as agreed by the surveyor).

    Regarding the iffy legal system in Spain, siding with the builder, not like in UK. Heard the one about the Brit in UK, paid £10K for a new kitchen which was very, very, iffy. Result was a Court case by the customer, against the company. Outcome, the customer lost, despite the works never having been completed.

  • #75722
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    At least in the UK, buyers have some redress through the NHBC 10 year guarantee primarily

    I’m sorry Paul this is less than useless unless there is a serious defect (like the house falling down) and snagging is not covered by this at all. I speak from experience. i would suggest that the same thing would happen if i tried to claim against the ten year guarantee on the property in Spain as well (the law in spain).

    Regards

    Paul

  • #75724
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

    😉

    Whilst the NHBC is not perfect, it’s come in useful to us (also from experience) here in the last 20 years or so on more major problems with new build. As for snagging defects, it’s up to the purchaser to chase these up before completion especially, and after, if necessary wherever they purchase home or abroad, so far, a lot easier to do in the UK where we’ve bought several times and always had snagging fixed fairly promptly.

    I suppose the answer is to try and deal with the better Developers wherever, unfortunately there were lots of so called ‘Promoters’ in Spain whe were’nt Developers but Mickey Mouse individuals using any old builders, it happened to us at Cabopino for example and he went awol afterwards. No redress available from either him or the rogue Agent, Awful estates.

    My point was that there appears no such NHBC lasting 10 years in Spain and most other countries, the Court procedure is far quicker in the UK, Bankruptcy by Developers is more rife in Spain (just read early forum pages etc).

    MG, your individual UK cases pale into insignificance compared with the Bad Press regarding peoples’ problems in Spain, and, I didn’t say that Bankruptcy was unique to Spanish Developers if you read the post with your own glasses properly.

  • #75725
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Is this really true 😆
    A BOOK 😕 Well as far as some of us are concerned it would have to be a bloody big book.

    Posted on another forum?

    Does anyone know if there ever has been made available a complaints book by either the developer or agents. To my knowledge this has never been offered to myself nor other purchasers.

    This is mandatory for any business operating in Spain by Spanish law.

    For further information :-

    http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=MbSra&m=1eVDlOtBCXxZ_T&b=EddVtJtxUw.aGwdxSucfsg

    Frank 8)

  • #75726
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    As p800aul pointed out – there is a 10 year guarantee on new build property in Spain. It is up to you or your lawyer to make sure it is in place.

    I have a property in Spain next door to someone who has had work done on cracks in their new (2/3 yr old) home. The work was approved and arranged using the 10 year guarantee process.

    I have used the NHBC in UK. They are absolutely useless – it took them 6 months to respond to our request – in the end we took legal action to “encourage” them to co operate.

  • #75727
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Oliverb:
    I agree that NHBC is pretty useless. The are ridden with paper chase. The very obvious and routine work is not covered by them.

    All type of Insurance policies have a policy, small print, exclusion etc and you have the opprtunity to read it before hand. In the case of NHBC or Zurich you dont see the policy and only get a certificate of Insurance that after completion.

    Than again the NHBC is funded by the builders/developers

  • #75729
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    Is the UK really relevant! even if things are bad there too it doesn’t change the fact of the topic…95% of spanish build have defects. When the whole article is read included in these defects are less m2 than contract and inferior materials, not exactly snagging are they 😮 Has anyone seen some of the properties here they advertise of having luxury kitchens?

    I do know here that many have had to pay for their 10 year guarantee. If there are any problems the property owner has to pay for a technical report (costly especially if they are minor snags).

    We once bought a new property in the UK and had six water leaks in as many weeks. They did repair them but we had to go to court from damage to personal goods and furniture. However, as I wrote above it doesn’t change the above spanish info’.

  • #75730
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Is the UK really relevant!

    Yes if it gives a comparison, the report said 95% of property in Spain has snagging.

    My comment would be “I’m not surprised as it is also the case in the UK” in fact my experience has shown me that the UK is harder than Spain when it comes to getting snagging done and build quality. That’s David Wilson Homes UK – Eralia Spain.

    Regards

    Paul

  • #75731
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Paul, is there a connection between David Wilson Homes (now part of the Barratt group) and Eralia?

  • #75732
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Yes, It is relevent for reasons that the forum users have experience of the two Countries i.e UK/Spain and it is therefore natural that they will compare the two systems and view there pro & cons.

    I for one is very clear that every Country has its own working practises and I mostly go along with them. I however do not expect that the whole world should work in the same manner as UK does.

    No system is pefect. In my view, we as consumer and the relevent supervisory bodies or their representatives need to sincerely keep evoloving to improve standards and not simply provide lip service and create job for the boys and have self serving hidden agenda.

  • #75733
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I don’t agree. When a statement is made (any) on any aspect of Spanish property purchase and a reply is that it is as bad (or worse) in the UK. how helpful is that? Might just as well say its worse in the Congo, not relevant at all.

  • #75734
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    What surprises me is that there is 5% that have no problems at all. Having bought this year we have had numerous problems which have all been rectified by the developer when reported who incidentally has not put a time limit on snagging.

  • #75735
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    IMHO it´s relevant AND helpful. A headline statement saying that 95% of all new builds in Spain are defective could equally correctly read “95% of all new builds WORLDWIDE have defects”.
    It could be misconstrued and make owners/prospective purchasers think that there is something technically amiss with the Spanish building industry when compared with the remainder of Europe/the world.
    Those of us who are in the construction industry know that´s not the case and so can put it into perspective which is surely helpful to laypeople?
    Many people´s first ever experience of buying a new build is here in Spain and so they may not be familiar with the whole experience.
    p.s. I´m referring to the actual building process, not the planning, buying/selling, legal processes!

  • #75737
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Hi
    Its all subcontracted out and varies depending on the quality of site agent , tradesman, profit margins that each company is willing to work on.
    N.H.B.C,Fensa .Glass and glazing federation etc.etc and many other so called useless authorities are simply money making pen pushing businesses.
    Each developer chooses to how they respond to defects in accordance with the reputation they wish to build ,however as is obvious they cant and never will keep everyone happy.
    Like in most countries if a development starts to look like it going to loose money then pull the plug and buy it back from the receivers.
    Claire 😉 Think Paul 800 was refering to how the company in Spain and the one in the U.K respond to putting defects right.
    Have heard that the Spainish company that he is refering to are pretty good. 😉
    Not sure why two single developers were singled out here as the thread is
    about the defects in the Spanish property market which is no where near as bad as some countries and NOW better than most.
    What are we trying to do as it seems that some are just saying that problems with everything in the property market are in Spain alone when its fool hardy not to take a world wide view.

    Frank 8)

  • #75742
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    @Just Frank wrote:

    Claire 😉 Think Paul 800 was refering to how the company in Spain and the one in the U.K respond to putting defects right.

    Just wondered as we nearly bought a David Wilson home. We thought they were very well designed. I didn’t think there was a connection with Eralia…just checking! 😉
    Just to add my twopence worth. We have all but once bought new houses, and one completely renovated house. It was like new. Every single one has had problems, mainly plumbing. The renovated house still had active woodworm in the bedroom and sittingroom beams and the ceiling fell down on our first night as someone had forgotten to connect the wastepipe in the bath!! 🙄 Spain is not the only country with defects in buildings.

  • #75746
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    IMHO it´s relevant AND helpful. A headline statement saying that 95% of all new builds in Spain are defective could equally correctly read “95% of all new builds WORLDWIDE have defects”.
    It could be misconstrued and make owners/prospective purchasers think that there is something technically amiss with the Spanish building industry when compared with the remainder of Europe/the world.
    Those of us who are in the construction industry know that´s not the case and so can put it into perspective which is surely helpful to laypeople?
    Many people´s first ever experience of buying a new build is here in Spain and so they may not be familiar with the whole experience.
    p.s. I´m referring to the actual building process, not the planning, buying/selling, legal processes!

    Exactly

    Paul, is there a connection between David Wilson Homes (now part of the Barratt group) and Eralia?

    I don’t have a clue but i would doubt it.

    Regards

    Paul

  • #75749
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

    😉

    NHBC is not perfect but we speak as we find, they’ve chased up Developers here for us. As Katy says, none of this gets away from the fact that the report shows 95% of properties in Spain (pres. New Build) have defects, a really high proportion compared to Anywhere methinks.

    Mark’s article in the S. Times echoes some of the points I made regarding Bankrupt Spanish Developers and the NHBC.

  • #75750
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I stand by what I posted it is not relevant, only for apologists. As I said many spanish problems are not snagging they are inferior materials, flooded basements and less m2 than contracted. (short eg.) Are you going to tell me that getting a smaller property than agreed is UK style.

    This is a Spanish property forum. If someone posts (and they have) that they have less square metros build and the “German luxury kitchen” is in fact locally produced crap, what sort of an answer is “It happens in the UK too”!! Hardly helpful is it ❓

  • #75751
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Point taken Katy. You are absolutely right in your comments.

  • #75753
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    So there you have it!

    Spainish property is rubbish, do not buy here there is no comparison to be made, it’s just crap

  • #75756
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Think the main problem is as with most Forums, it is mainly the people that have had problems that add to negative topics and those who try and give a positive side can never win.

  • #75757
    Profile photo of Fuengi (Andrew)
    Fuengi (Andrew)
    Participant

    My purchasing of property has all in all been positive down here.

    But I recently done a snagging for a client.
    Most of it was minor, paint here, remove paint, etc…

    only 2 serious issues
    a hairline crack in one panel of glass. Simply need to replace the glass.
    and
    all the marble skirting throughout the aparmtent was loose. The cement had not been applied correctly and it has’nt ‘stuck’.

  • #75758
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    p800aul wrote

    ”Spainish property is rubbish, do not buy here there is no comparison to be made, it’s just crap”

    you may laugh, but for many that’s not far from the truth. I think most people write as they find, and the amount of negative comments on here compared to positive comments about buying in Spain, speak for themselves. How much more evidence does anyone need?

  • #75763
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Goodstich44

    I was speaking as i find, i wasn’t being positive we had snagging in Spain. I’m sure 100% of all new property around the world has snagging. I think that all off plan property is different to original specification, including size etc etc wherever you are in the world.

    As for evidence, i don’t think this forum is representative of the all who have bought in Spain, as we rarely discuss property further than 30Kms from Marbella for a start. Plus this thread is based on a newspaper article and surely you are not suggesting that that should be taken as evidence.

    We seem to go to extraordinary lengths to say “Spanish property is rubbish” well if you think that say it and be done. I don’t, I say it’s no worst than in the UK, and probably no worst that the rest of the world. The only thing that’s different it would seem is they’re shooting people in Alicante because of property and we seem to think that’s OK as well.

    Anyway I’m sat here in our rubbish apartment with the rubbish sun shining, about to play a game of rubbish golf (yes i know) and no doubt we will be having a rubbish swim in our rubbish pool, then a rubbish barbeque. Ironically the only thing that is really rubbish is the price we had to pay for the flights, could be that a lot of people don’t think that Spain is that rubbish after all, as the flight was rubbishly full.

    regards

    Paul

  • #75764
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

    😉

    Well said Katy and Goodstich, all too often what is built in Spain just doesn’t match up with the misleading sales brochures dished out by unscrupulous agents and Developers. The end result is commonly like the jerry builds of old, then, as in our case the ‘Promoter’ buggers off and the agent (Awful Estates) says ‘that sales agent doesn’t represent us and anyway has left us’, and to make matters worse the agent’s recommended lawyer (big mistake if it’s someone like DLM), is really working for the Developer and Agent, not the purchaser.

  • #75765
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    I agree, weather is wonderful for Oct. think its the hottest Oct I have known. If everything works out well it can be a nice life. 🙂
    I did not say spanish property is crap (a lot of it built during the last 5 years is). A friend’s apartment is sub-standard for the money paid, yet my cousin is very satisfied with hers and it looks good.

    I have a feeling things are picking up (not off-plan). A friend told me he sold 2 properties last week after not selling anything for months! Another told me they did not have a viewing at their home for many months and have had 4 in 10 days.

  • #75766
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    p800aul

    i don’t think Spain is rubbish, they are your words! I happen to think it’s a fantastic place, spoilt in many areas by the greed/corruption at all levels in the housing boom of the last few years.

    I was simply observing the contents of the comments made on this and several other websites about the buying experience in Spain. Don’t tell me these comments are just newspaper articles, because like mine, these views are from people who have had (and are still having) a dreadful first hand experience.

  • #75767
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Russ
    Welcome to the forum 😉

    Frank 8)

  • #75772
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Ironically the only thing that is really rubbish is the price we had to pay for the flights, could be that a lot of people don’t think that Spain is that rubbish after all, as the flight was rubbishly full.

    That’s cos it’s half-term for many schools! 😉

  • #75774
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    spoilt in many areas by the greed/corruption at all levels in the housing boom of the last few years.

    Your opinion not mine, and not it would seem the many thousands coming here this week for half term (yes Claire I did know, the price we pay for having kids in school, still a rubbish price paid because Spain is so popular.)

    I was simply observing the contents of the comments made on this and several other websites about the buying experience in Spain. Don’t tell me these comments are just newspaper articles, because like mine, these views are from people who have had (and are still having) a dreadful first hand experience.

    Is anecdotal evidence from those who are in the main looking for comfort from people who are in similar circumstances. If you are happy you do not seek others who are also happy. I would guess if you asked all of the owners in our area Elvira if they are happy or disappointed the vast majority would say happy. I even know some who are happy with their purchase in Los Lagos.

    This thread is based on a newspaper article which I AGREE with, in fact i would say you would have to be blind not to have snagging on a new build, so 100% is nearer the mark. I also say, so what as I do not find it significant news at all, because it the same all over he world.

    Finally if you think Spain is full of dishonest people and Spain just doesn’t match up with the misleading sales brochures dished out by unscrupulous agents and Developers, then don’t come, i don’t think you’ll be missed and the planes will still be full, half term or not.

    regards

    Paul

  • #75777
    Profile photo of katy
    katy
    Spectator

    Monarch (and possibly Ryan air?) are stopping flights to Granada.

  • #75778
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Monarch (and possibly Ryan air?) are stopping flights to Granada.

    That’s because no one wanted to go there Katy, Ryanair stopping I doubt now monarch have pulled.

    On the other hand.

    http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/news/destination/ryanair-carries-25m-spanish-passengers-18326519.html

  • #75779
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    p800aul wrote

    ”Finally if you think Spain is full of dishonest people and Spain just doesn’t match up with the misleading sales brochures dished out by unscrupulous agents and Developers”……..

    …………..well when it comes to buying property, not always but often, yes!

    Those of us posting facts through personal experience see things as they are, good or bad. If you want facts not spin, have a look at Suzannes petition.

  • #75785
    Profile photo of mike
    mike
    Participant

    @p800aul wrote:

    Is anecdotal evidence from those who are in the main looking for comfort from people who are in similar circumstances. If you are happy you do not seek others who are also happy. I would guess if you asked all of the owners in our area Elvira if they are happy or disappointed the vast majority would say happy. I even know some who are happy with their purchase in Los Lagos.

    I met a lot of people who were kidding themselves that they are happy in Spain. For example, a woman who lived in a mainly Spanish speaking town who claimed to be friends with everyone in what was her spiritual home. She couldn’t speak the language and she was pretty much derided by the locals.

    @p800aul wrote:

    Finally if you think Spain is full of dishonest people and Spain just doesn’t match up with the misleading sales brochures dished out by unscrupulous agents and Developers, then don’t come, i don’t think you’ll be missed and the planes will still be full, half term or not.

    regards

    Paul

    Oh, I agree. I have made my decision and I don’t think I will return to Spain. I think it will get very nasty in the next few years as the economy collapses and water becomes increasingly expensive. I might visit, I had fun there.

    The reason that I retain an interest is that I have witnessed the madness of crowds and the whole experience has been fascinating

  • #75786
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Thanks Frank 😀

  • #75788
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    I met a lot of people who were kidding themselves that they are happy in Spain. For example, a woman who lived in a mainly Spanish speaking town who claimed to be friends with everyone in what was her spiritual home. She couldn’t speak the language and she was pretty much derided by the locals.

    Well that’s one you’ve found, of course this is clearly factual and not anecdotal, would definitely stand up to serious scrutiny. The woman is definitely unhappy and crying out for help, poor soul and as we live our lives so perfectly we can judge her.

    I think it will get very nasty in the next few years as the economy collapses and water becomes increasingly expensive. I might visit, I had fun there

    Like I said we live our lives so perfectly we should see fun in the downfall of others, may be even gloat

    ”Finally if you think Spain is full of dishonest people and Spain just doesn’t match up with the misleading sales brochures dished out by unscrupulous agents and Developers”……..

    …………..well when it comes to buying property, not always but often, yes!

    A quick tip, all sales brochures never tell you the whole truth, if they did you might not buy and therefore their propose is lost, i.e. to sell. Has anyone ever seen an honest (i.e. good and bad features) sales brochure, I haven’t?

    Those of us posting facts through personal experience see things as they are, good or bad. If you want facts not spin, have a look at Suzannes petition

    Why would anyone who is happy sign Suzannes petition, only people looking for satisfaction because they have been wronged would sign.

    Look my point was posting a news items like 95% of property in Spain means nothing, as 100% of property world wide has snagging, Spain is therefore not the centre of the universe when it comes to snagging. I tried to make this point and we then get into this. Whether you like it or not most people are happy with the lot in Spain.

    There are lots of problems here in Spain I totally agree, there has been corruption many people have been misled. You think it’s the rule i say it’s the exception to the rule, our views differ period!

  • #75790
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    …….the good and bad evidence is here for all to read on this and similar sites. Of course many are content with their lot, and many are not. I’m just so glad sites like this exist, so that the truth can be heard.

  • #75791
    Profile photo of mike
    mike
    Participant

    Paul, you originally stated the following.

    @p800aul wrote:

    I would guess if you asked all of the owners in our area Elvira if they are happy or disappointed the vast majority would say happy. I even know some who are happy with their purchase in Los Lagos.

    You are guessing, it’s purely anecdotal.

    @p800aul wrote:

    I met a lot of people who were kidding themselves that they are happy in Spain. For example, a woman who lived in a mainly Spanish speaking town who claimed to be friends with everyone in what was her spiritual home. She couldn’t speak the language and she was pretty much derided by the locals.

    Well that’s one you’ve found, of course this is clearly factual and not anecdotal, would definitely stand up to serious scrutiny. The woman is definitely unhappy and crying out for help, poor soul and as we live our lives so perfectly we can judge her.

    My anecdote is as valid as yours and demonstrates that not all is always as it seems. This woman was absolutely delighted with her Spanish property investment. And she had a great social life, her best mate was an estate agent who let her stay with her when she was visiting Spain.

    @p800aul wrote:

    I think it will get very nasty in the next few years as the economy collapses and water becomes increasingly expensive. I might visit, I had fun there

    Like I said we live our lives so perfectly we should see fun in the downfall of others, may be even gloat

    I’d have been impressed if you had decided to discuss rather than bleat. But it does seem that people invested in the Spanish property market, and I am not referring to those who were ripped off who I think have every right to complain, like to keep their heads firmly in the sand.

    The rest are not quotes made by me.

  • #75792
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    [quote=”p800aul
    Why would anyone who is happy sign Suzannes petition, only people looking for satisfaction because they have been wronged would sign.
    [/quote]

    Although the majority who have signed Our Petition are people facing serious problems with their property purchase in Spain, there are people who have signed who are very happy in Spain & have had no notable problems with their purchase. But they have taken the time to add support to Our Petition, with their details, as they have witnessed the corruption in Spain & the distress it has caused to many.

    Surely we’re all glad to hear from those who are happy, but I think the problems start when some try to negate the negative experiences. There’s no doubt of the far-reaching effects of the corruption in Spain with regard to property. The very fact that SPSP has the support and help of a prominent Spanish lawyer endorses the seriousness & scope of these problems.

  • #75793
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    so that the truth can be heard.

    Well we agree on one thing 🙂

    You are guessing, it’s purely anecdotal

    Indeed

    My anecdote is as valid as yours

    My point entirely

    I’d have been impressed if you had decided to discuss rather than bleat. But it does seem that people invested in the Spanish property market, and I am not referring to those who were ripped off who I think have every right to complain, like to keep their heads firmly in the sand.

    I have no clue what your point is or understand what you are saying.

  • #75795
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Surely we’re all glad to hear from those who are happy, but I think the problems start when some try to negate the negative experiences.

    Right, so all those that are happy should shut up and keep it to themselves as it might compromise those that have had negative experiences. I know you’ve been wronged Suzanne and as I’ve said many time I’m sorry, we did not have a bad experience and i will not apologise for that.

    There’s no doubt of the far-reaching effects of the corruption in Spain with regard to property. The very fact that SPSP has the support and help of a prominent Spanish lawyer endorses the seriousness & scope of these problems

    I agree, never doubted it, but i still don’t know why 95% of Spanish new builds have snagging is news as it’s the case the world over. I would say 100% of Spanish new builds have snagging! Why does this revelation further the cause of an end of corruption and miss selling in Spain, and why is any comparison not valid or seen as an attempt to negate the negative experiences. If that the best argument anyone can come up with (95% of Spanish new builds have snagging your Honor) then we’ve really lost it.

  • #75796
    Profile photo of mike
    mike
    Participant

    @p800aul wrote:

    so that the truth can be heard.

    Well we agree on one thing 🙂

    You are guessing, it’s purely anecdotal

    Hmmm, anyone reading that will believe that I have made both comments, which isn’t the case. However, there is little content to what you post so it isn’t a serious matter

    @p800aul wrote:

    My anecdote is as valid as yours

    My point entirely

    So we’re agreed.

    @p800aul wrote:

    I’d have been impressed if you had decided to discuss rather than bleat. But it does seem that people invested in the Spanish property market, and I am not referring to those who were ripped off who I think have every right to complain, like to keep their heads firmly in the sand.

    I have no clue what your point is or understand what you are saying.

    Ah, you accused me of gloating at the misery of others, you didn’t copy and paste that bit. If instead of complaining that someone is gloating at the misery of others you discussed what might drive the Spanish property market forward or why the future cost of water, an issue I raised, isn’t an issue then I would be impressed. However, you chose instead to complain that I raised the subject as gloating at the misery of others.

    I call that hiding one’s head in the sand

  • #75797
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Ah, you accused me of gloating at the misery of others

    Yes i did, sorry if i didn’t make that clear.

    If instead of complaining that someone is gloating at the misery of others you discussed what might drive the Spanish property market forward or why the future cost of water, an issue I raised, isn’t an issue then I would be impressed.

    I didn’t really buy as an investment, just as an alternative when pension funds where not doing so well so slow growth will do me (over 10/15 years or so.) I don’t recall discussing what might drive the market forward, at the moment I don’t care about the market. As for the future cost of water you clearly have information which I don’t, water in Spain seems to be cheaper here (forgive me for making a comparison) than the UK. As for the collapse of the Spanish economy, well again you clearly have greater insight than me. I’m tempted to make comparisions with the rest of the world but fear further “hiding one’s head in the sand” comments.

    From snagging to world economics in four pages 😀

  • #75798
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Suzanne wrote

    ”Surely we’re all glad to hear from those who are happy, but I think the problems start when some try to negate the negative experiences. There’s no doubt of the far-reaching effects of the corruption in Spain with regard to property. The very fact that SPSP has the support and help of a prominent Spanish lawyer endorses the seriousness & scope of these problems.”

    ………..this sums up what i’m trying to say. There is a number of people on here who seem very keen to negate the negative experiences suffered by many people. Yes we want to read true stories good and bad, but let’s not try and pretend things are better than is reported by those who are going through hell and high water just to get justice!

  • #75799
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Quote: ‘Right, so all those that are happy should shut up and keep it to themselves as it might compromise those that have had negative experiences. ‘

    p800aul- the above is NOT what I said at all.
    Again, I am 😀 😀 😀 & relieved for those who have purchased in Spain without major problems. I don’t remember reading anyone on here begrudging any successful purchase. Far from keeping quiet, would like to hear more from them & their experiences.
    We’re not enemies here, but can hopefully help eachother 🙂

  • #75802
    Profile photo of mike
    mike
    Participant

    @p800aul wrote:

    Ah, you accused me of gloating at the misery of others

    Yes i did, sorry if i didn’t make that clear.

    That’s OK. I don’t care about the misery of those in the Spanish property market other than those that were ripped off. I think that we should have legal safeguards when buying but anyone who bought thinking that the Spanish property market was a good investment choice should live with the consequences of that decision.

    @p800aul wrote:

    If instead of complaining that someone is gloating at the misery of others you discussed what might drive the Spanish property market forward or why the future cost of water, an issue I raised, isn’t an issue then I would be impressed.

    I didn’t really buy as an investment, just as an alternative when pension funds where not doing so well so slow growth will do me (over 10/15 years or so.) I don’t recall discussing what might drive the market forward, at the moment I don’t care about the market. As for the future cost of water you clearly have information which I don’t, water in Spain seems to be cheaper here (forgive me for making a comparison) than the UK.

    I don’t think Spanish property has always been a bad investment, just for the past couple of years and a few years going forward, beyond that I don’t know but I’m not optimistic. I hope your pension plan works out well for you.

    I read about desalination plants for the Murcia region. I think it was suggested that they supply as far as Marbella. But it’s an expensive process cost circa 50 cents a litre. In the UK we have plenty of rain, some would say too much but I like it.

    @p800aul wrote:

    As for the collapse of the Spanish economy, well again you clearly have greater insight than me. I’m tempted to make comparisions with the rest of the world but fear further “hiding one’s head in the sand” comments.

    Oh God no! I have no idea of how the world economy will pan out but it should be a consideration in any investment decision, surely? And it’s been very difficult to find anyone who has even considered the matter.

    @p800aul wrote:

    From snagging to world economics in four pages 😀

    Now that is living!!

  • #75811
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    In reply to the water thing, if you in the UK have such a plentiful supply……why do you always have shortages???????

    Here I have never had my water turned off, or restricted and we dont get any!!! 😕

  • #75812
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Sorry, just make a slight adjustment to last post…..we got plenty of water at the mo….it is heaving down 😳

  • #75872
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

    😆

    You miss the point p800aul, it’s not a question as you say ‘don’t come’ then quoting my lines. Too many of us did come to Spain years ago and were thoroughly ‘tucked up’ by the likes of Awful Estates, so we’re only telling others to be careful in Spain and also the laughable emerging markets that Awful and other agents are now operating in ‘tucking up’ more unwary purchasers.

    Oh, and I’ve seen plenty of the misleading brochures too, with specifications that don’t match up, and views ‘you won’t lose’ which are immediately lost with further development, all in the Spanish property hype on the Costas.

  • #75873
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    You miss the point p800aul

    Maybe I did, i can’t remember now

  • #75878
    Profile photo of Inez
    Inez
    Participant

    Its the weekend guys, lighten up and chill out pleeeeeese?

    Love to you all. XXXXX 😀

  • #75880
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

    Inez 😉
    You been on that wine again 🙂

    Lifes toooo short and sometimes postings are taken the wrong way and like you say its the weeeekend 😆 😆 😆

    Frank 8)

  • #75882
    Profile photo of Inez
    Inez
    Participant

    Not quite there on the wine – still in the office, but hey, just the THOUGHT of it is making me a bit giddy!!! 😆

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.